Choosing appropriate length scale in condensed matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of continuum dynamics and its application to material dynamics, specifically considering the interactions of phonons of various wavelengths. The speakers also mention the need to account for different length scales, from micro to macro levels, in order to accurately analyze the effects and uncertainties produced. The question of how to incorporate these various dimensional effects into a single macroscopic analysis is raised, and it is unclear if this is possible or if there is a common method to do so. The conversation ends with a request for help understanding the critical length scale for dealing with this issue.
Sivasakthi
Hi..
I was reading some papers on continuum dynamics and its application to various material dynamics. The determination of macroscopic behavior is being studied , considering phononic interactions. As a material consists of phonons of various wavelengths, it is necessary to account for various length/ dimensional structures internally like dealing with micro, meso and nano levels and analyzing what are the effects or errors or uncertainties produced by these length scales.
One thing I could not understand is, how is it possible to account all these various dimensional effects all together and obtain macroscopic analysis. Even if we do so, will that be right? Or is there any common method to implement these different variations in a single way?
Can anybody help me please?
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Sivasakthi said:
Hi..
I was reading some papers on continuum dynamics and its application to various material dynamics. The determination of macroscopic behavior is being studied , considering phononic interactions. As a material consists of phonons of various wavelengths, it is necessary to account for various length/ dimensional structures internally like dealing with micro, meso and nano levels and analyzing what are the effects or errors or uncertainties produced by these length scales.
The characteristic length scale of phonons are interatomic distances. The phonon dispersion is defined inside the Brillouin zone of reciprocal space.

Having said that, you get all kind of effects at larger length scales, e.g. phonon scattering at grain boundaries (length scale of ~micrometer), etc. So go get a realistic model of an engineering material you do have to take into account all length scales from interatomic to macroscopic.

One thing I could not understand is, how is it possible to account all these various dimensional effects all together and obtain macroscopic analysis. Even if we do so, will that be right? Or is there any common method to implement these different variations in a single way?
Can anybody help me please?
Regards

I do not know if this is possible at all. I have the impression that one tries to understand what is happening on one or two length scales, and then develop an effective continuum model that can be incorporated in the next one or two length scales up.

But then again I am not an expert. Maybe somebody else here can give a more qualified answer?

Even if we do have a method, how will that allocate all the scales? How can we know about the degree or a range to which a particular scale has importance?
I believe there should be some critical length scale for dealing with a situation like this..

Related to Choosing appropriate length scale in condensed matter

1. What is the importance of choosing an appropriate length scale in condensed matter research?

The length scale chosen in condensed matter research is crucial because it determines the level of detail and accuracy in the study. It also helps to identify the relevant physical processes and phenomena occurring at different length scales.

2. How do you determine the appropriate length scale for a specific condensed matter system?

Choosing the appropriate length scale involves considering the size of the system, the physical properties being studied, and the desired level of detail. It may also require trial and error and consultation with experts in the field.

3. Can the appropriate length scale change during a condensed matter study?

Yes, the appropriate length scale can change during a study as new information and insights are gained. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust the length scale to ensure the most accurate and relevant results.

4. How does the choice of length scale affect the computational resources needed for a condensed matter study?

The choice of length scale can greatly impact the computational resources needed for a study. A smaller length scale requires more detailed calculations and may require more powerful computers or longer simulation times.

5. Are there any standard guidelines for choosing an appropriate length scale in condensed matter research?

While there are no strict guidelines, there are general principles and considerations that can guide the selection of an appropriate length scale. These include the scale of the system, the physical properties being studied, and the desired level of accuracy. It is also helpful to consult with other researchers in the field and consider previous studies on similar systems.