Choosing a Trial Function for Differential Equation Homework

In summary: Yes, the ##i## term disappears when you combine the arbitrary constants. So your final complementary function will be in the form of ##x_c = e^t(C\cos 2t + D\sin 2t)## where C and D are arbitrary constants.
Calu

Homework Statement

I have a differential equation: [itex]\ddot{x} -2\dot{x} + 5x= 10 + 13cos(3t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

x(t) = xc + xp
where xc is the Complementary Function and xp is the Particular Integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have formed and solved the auxiliary equation:

[itex]m^{2} - 2m + 5 = 0[/itex]

[itex]m_{1} = 1 + 2i , m_{2} = 1 - 2i[/itex]

How would I go about forming xc = et(Acos2t + Bsin2t) ?

Furthermore, how would I choose a trial function to determine the Particular Integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:

Homework Statement

I have a differential equation: [itex]\ddot{x} -2\dot{x} + 5x= 10 + 13cos(t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

x(t) = xc + xp
where xc is the Complimentary Function and xp is the Particular Integral.

That's "complementary".

The Attempt at a Solution

I have formed and solved the auxiliary equation:

[itex]m^{2} - 2m + 5 = 0[/itex]

[itex]m_{1} = 1 + 2i , m_{2} = 1 - 2i[/itex]

I don't understand that question. You did just "form" it, didn't you?

Furthermore, how would I choose a trial function to determine the Particular Integral?

Well, since you need a constant and a ##\cos t## after you differentiate your ##x_p## I would suggest something of the form ##x_p = A + B\cos t + C\sin t##.

LCKurtz said:
That's "complementary".

I give up with English. Fixed the OP.

I don't understand that question. You did just "form" it, didn't you?

We have taught to from what is called an auxiliary function by taking the coeffeicents of [itex]\ddot{x}, \dot{x}, [/itex]and [itex]x[/itex] and (say a, b, c) and forming the equation

[itex]am^{2} + bm + c[/itex]

and then solving this equation to find 2 values of m (m1 and m2) which are to then form the basis of the complementary function xc. The complementary function I've given above is what I have to form given my values m1 and m2.

Well, since you need a constant and a ##\cos t## after you differentiate your ##x_p## I would suggest something of the form ##x_p = A + B\cos t + C\sin t##.

That makes sense, thanks. In the given answer a constant 3 has been added so that it reads:

##x_p = A + B\cos 3t + C\sin 3t##. Is there any particular reason that has been chosen?

Calu said:
I give up with English. Fixed the OP.

We have taught to from what is called an auxiliary function by taking the coeffeicents of [itex]\ddot{x}, \dot{x}, [/itex]and [itex]x[/itex] and (say a, b, c) and forming the equation

[itex]am^{2} + bm + c[/itex]

and then solving this equation to find 2 values of m (m1 and m2) which are to then form the basis of the complementary function xc. The complementary function I've given above is what I have to form given my values m1 and m2.

That makes sense, thanks. In the given answer a constant 3 has been added so that it reads:

##x_p = A + B\cos 3t + C\sin 3t##. Is there any particular reason that has been chosen?

Your original post had a ##\cos t## on the right side. Was that a typing error and it was supposed to be ##\cos(3t)##? That would be the only reason to use ##3t## in the trig functions for your ##x_p##.

Ahh yes, my mistake. Thank you.

Do you have any idea about forming the complementary function?

Calu said:

Calu said:
Do you have any idea about forming the complementary function?
You already have the complementary function (i.e., the solution to the homogeneous problem). Are you asking about how to write a particular solution (not the complementary solution)? (BTW, the p subscript in xp stands for "particular.")

If not, then I don't understand what you're having trouble with.

I don't know how to go from having m1 and m2 to making the equation for xc. The equation in my post has been given to me in the answer, I don't know how to get it myself.

Calu said:
I don't know how to go from having m1 and m2 to making the equation for xc. The equation in my post has been given to me in the answer, I don't know how to get it myself.

Your characteristic equation comes by looking for a solution ##x=e^{mt}## and you have found that ##m = 1\pm 2i##. That means the general solution of the homogeneous equation is$$
x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})$$Now use the Euler formulas for the complex exponentials in terms of sines and cosines to get it in the {sine,cosine} form.

LCKurtz said:
Your characteristic equation comes by looking for a solution ##x=e^{mt}## and you have found that ##m = 1\pm 2i##. That means the general solution of the homogeneous equation is$$
x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})$$Now use the Euler formulas for the complex exponentials in terms of sines and cosines to get it in the {sine,cosine} form.

##x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})##

I did this, but found that I get:

##x_c = e^{t}((A + B)cos2t + (A - B)isin2t)##

Can these arbitrary constants be combined to yield something like:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## for some arbitrary constants C, D ?

Last edited:
Calu said:
##x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})##

I did this, but found that I get:

##x_c = e^{t}((A + B)cos2t + (A - B)isin2t)##

Can these arbitrary constants be combined to yield something like:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## for some arbitrary constants C, D ?
Yes, of course. Since A and B are arbitrary constants, so are A+ B and A- B.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, of course. Since A and B are arbitrary constants, so are A+ B and A- B.

Thanks.

One more question. Is the ##i## term meant to be present here:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## ?

Calu said:
Thanks.

One more question. Is the ##i## term meant to be present here:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## ?

Include the ##i## in the ##D##. While it appears the constants C and D may be complex, if the DE has real coefficients and real boundary conditions, they will come out real. If you left your answer in the ##\{e^{2it},e^{-2it}\}## form the constants would come out complex.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Include the ##i## in the ##D##. While it appears the constants C and D may be complex, if the DE has real coefficients and real boundary conditions, they will come out real. If you left your answer in the ##\{e^{2it},e^{-2it}\}## form the constants would come out complex.

Oh I see, thanks a lot!

Related to Choosing a Trial Function for Differential Equation Homework

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves an unknown function and one or more of its derivatives, and the goal is to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. How is a differential equation different from a regular equation?

A regular equation involves only algebraic operations, while a differential equation involves derivatives of a function. This makes it more complex and often requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve change over time.

4. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are many types of differential equations, but the main types are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

5. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some can be solved analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. Others may require numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.