Choosing a Major: Finding the Right Fit for You

In summary, computer science seems to be a popular and in-demand field with various job opportunities available such as software development, IT, game development, and more. Other potential areas of study include electrical engineering, computer engineering, industrial engineering, or applied mathematics. It is recommended to consider a co-op program to gain experience and explore different job options. It is also important to carefully choose a major, especially if planning on going to graduate school. In NZ, it is relatively easy to switch programs in the first year but becomes more difficult in the second year.
Red Joker
I am in my last year of high school here in my country and I've been thinking of something related to mathematics and physics and computers. I've decided that computer science would probably be the best course to choose. Do you know what is the best job you can get with a computer science degree, ("best" may be subjective but any definition of "best" would suffice.). If you have any other ideas of other better courses to study that would be helpful as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
what country you are in?

What made you come to the conclusion that computer science is the best course of action for you?

What about Electrical (or computing) engineering?
I have degrees in both computer science and electrical engineering. I found EE to be a lot more technical, and I know people who graduated with EE who went into software development. EE might give you more variety to find a job you'll love.

funlord said:
what country you are in?
I am in NZ at the moment. Computer science seems to be in the demand market.

Dishsoap said:
What made you come to the conclusion that computer science is the best course of action for you?
Well it has both physics and computers both so I guess it could work? I'm not entirely sure but so far the course towards computers seems to be the most interesting of them all.

cpscdave said:
What about Electrical (or computing) engineering?
I have degrees in both computer science and electrical engineering. I found EE to be a lot more technical, and I know people who graduated with EE who went into software development. EE might give you more variety to find a job you'll love.

Do you know what kind of job I can get with Electrical Engineering?

What kind of job can you get with electrical engineering?

Gee. There's a lot of variety. Number one, you can be an electrical engineer: designing, prototyping, and testing electrical systems and gizmos. Second, many industries and companies will hire engineers - regardless the type of engineer - because they are good problem solvers. Third, you can go and manage engineers! I hear it pays well.

I'm not an engineer. Hopefully someone can add more to what I've said.

Likes cpscdave and Red Joker
Red Joker said:
Do you know what kind of job I can get with Electrical Engineering?

To add to the list EternusVia started.
I work as a controls and communications engineer. Basically I work on connecting our controllers to DCS systems.
People I graduated with work as:
-Software Developer
-Circuit designer
-Power Systems engineer
-Maintenance & Reliability engineer

To get more ideas go to a job site and search for electrical engineer. If you do go the engineering route (or pretty much any degree) I strongly recommend that you take the co-op program. Helps you decide what type of jobs you would and would not like

To the OP:

Certainly if you are interested in and have an aptitude for math, plus have an interest in programming and software development, then choosing computer science is certainly a good area to major in. In terms of the best job available for a computer science degree -- there is so many that it's hard to list them all (software development, IT, game developer, apps developers, embedded software, robotics, data science, etc.)

Other areas worth looking include electrical engineering, computer engineering, industrial engineering, or applied mathematics.

BTW, a question for you. In NZ, how easily can you switch into different programs? Because in case your interests change as you enter university, you may want to keep that in mind as well.

You can get a degree in computer science engineering or in computer engineering.

I was an EE major. Then I switched to CS. Then I switched to CSE. I thought about CE, but then I decided to go back to EE.

Do you think you will go to graduate school? If you do, then I would encourage you to pursue a variety of computer science, math, and engineering courses. If you have no intention of going to graduate school, then it is in your best interest to focus your major early. If you go to graduate school, you have the time during your undergraduate years to get a broader, more well-rounded education before focusing in on one field.

For me, I had no idea what electrical engineering was until I took Circuits I. Similarly, I didn't have much knowledge or appreciation for computer science, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, or materials science until I took courses in those disciplines.

StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

Certainly if you are interested in and have an aptitude for math, plus have an interest in programming and software development, then choosing computer science is certainly a good area to major in. In terms of the best job available for a computer science degree -- there is so many that it's hard to list them all (software development, IT, game developer, apps developers, embedded software, robotics, data science, etc.)

Other areas worth looking include electrical engineering, computer engineering, industrial engineering, or applied mathematics.

BTW, a question for you. In NZ, how easily can you switch into different programs? Because in case your interests change as you enter university, you may want to keep that in mind as well.

In first year it's fairly easy to switch it's in second year that's harder, because you have to solidify your credentials I suppose. Robotics certainly does sound interesting, I haven't thought about that thank you for the suggestions.

cpscdave said:
To add to the list EternusVia started.
I work as a controls and communications engineer. Basically I work on connecting our controllers to DCS systems.
People I graduated with work as:
-Software Developer
-Circuit designer
-Power Systems engineer
-Maintenance & Reliability engineer

To get more ideas go to a job site and search for electrical engineer. If you do go the engineering route (or pretty much any degree) I strongly recommend that you take the co-op program. Helps you decide what type of jobs you would and would not like

Circu
EM_Guy said:
You can get a degree in computer science engineering or in computer engineering.

I was an EE major. Then I switched to CS. Then I switched to CSE. I thought about CE, but then I decided to go back to EE.

Do you think you will go to graduate school? If you do, then I would encourage you to pursue a variety of computer science, math, and engineering courses. If you have no intention of going to graduate school, then it is in your best interest to focus your major early. If you go to graduate school, you have the time during your undergraduate years to get a broader, more well-rounded education before focusing in on one field.

For me, I had no idea what electrical engineering was until I took Circuits I. Similarly, I didn't have much knowledge or appreciation for computer science, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, or materials science until I took courses in those disciplines.

Thanks, I am interested in maths computers and engineering and I just can't make up my mind, but I'll just try a variety for first year then I'll pick a major by second year. Thanks for all of the advice

Related to Choosing a Major: Finding the Right Fit for You

1. Is computer science a good career choice?

Yes, computer science is a highly sought-after field with a projected job growth rate of 11% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This means that there will be plenty of job opportunities available for computer science graduates.

2. What skills do I need to be successful in computer science?

Some important skills for success in computer science include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of computer programming languages. Additionally, being able to adapt to new technologies and continuously learn and improve is crucial in this field.

3. How long does it take to get a degree in computer science?

The time it takes to earn a degree in computer science varies depending on the level of degree and the individual's pace. On average, a bachelor's degree in computer science takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree can take an additional 1-2 years.

4. What kind of job opportunities can I expect with a degree in computer science?

A degree in computer science can open up a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including software development, web development, data analysis, information security, and more. Some specific job titles may include software engineer, data scientist, computer systems analyst, and information technology consultant.

5. Is computer science worth the investment?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on the individual's goals and aspirations. However, with the high demand for skilled computer science professionals and the potential for a high salary, many people consider it a worthwhile investment. Additionally, advancements in technology and the increasing integration of computer systems in various industries make computer science a valuable and relevant field for the foreseeable future.