Choose the signs of vectors as to maximize modulus of their sum.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of maximizing the modulus of the sum of n vectors. There is a question of whether the problem should be addressed in a computer science forum or an algorithm forum. The conversation also explores various strategies for finding the optimal solution, including considering the sign of each vector and the inner product between the summed vector and the next vector. The final solution may be non-unique to one or two signs. Any additional thoughts or insights on the problem are welcomed.
sodemus
Hi,

I have a fairly simple problem which but I'm not sure if it should rather be in a computer science forum for algorithms or something.

Given n vectors, how do you choose the sign of each vector as to maximize the modulus of the sum of the vectors?

Sure you could go through all 2^n combinations, but that's not necessarily the most efficient way (really, you only need to go through 2^(n-1) since the second half is just negative the first half, but still). I can't figure out what all the dependencies are.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that by "sign of each vector" you mean if you should add or subtract that vector from the accumulated/summed vector, and that by modulus you mean the length.

My immediate thought was that you don't want to go "backwards". So if the inner product between the summed vector and the next vector is negative, subtract the vector, otherwise add it.

Of course, this might be just silly.

Thanks for your reply and yes, you got the problem right!

Well, that was my first thought as well but I didn't think it actually leads to global maximum/minimum since that assumes knowledge of how the 2 first vectors would contribute to the final sum. Well, perhaps, since the sign of the resulting vector actually is arbitrary. But I think the final sum is only non-unique to one sign (two combinations) and the sum of the first two vectors are non-unique to two signs (4 combinations)...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Related to Choose the signs of vectors as to maximize modulus of their sum.

1. What do you mean by "signs of vectors"?

The signs of vectors refer to their direction or orientation. In mathematics, vectors can have positive or negative signs, denoted by the symbols "+" and "-".

2. How do you determine the signs of vectors to maximize the modulus of their sum?

To maximize the modulus of the sum of vectors, you need to choose their signs in a way that they are all pointing in the same direction. This can be achieved by either making all vectors positive or all negative, depending on the given problem.

3. Can you give an example to illustrate this concept?

Sure. Imagine you have two vectors, A and B, with magnitudes of 3 and 5 respectively. If you choose their signs as +3 and +5, their sum will have a magnitude of 8. However, if you choose their signs as -3 and -5, their sum will have a magnitude of 8 as well. On the other hand, if you choose their signs as +3 and -5, their sum will have a smaller magnitude of 2.

4. Is there a specific reason why choosing the signs in the same direction maximizes the modulus of the sum?

Yes, this is because when vectors are added, their magnitudes are added while their directions remain the same. Therefore, if all vectors have the same direction, their magnitudes will be added together, resulting in a larger sum.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing the signs of vectors to maximize their sum?

Yes, it is also important to consider the direction and orientation of the resulting vector. For example, if the given problem requires the sum to be in a specific direction, then you need to choose the signs accordingly to achieve that direction.