Chemistry recrystallization lab

During the filtration of the purified solid, I noticed a small amount of fine colorless particles in the filtrate. It is uncertain what these particles are, but they could either be very small crystals that passed through the filter or impurities that formed in the filtrate. This could potentially affect the experimental results, as it could result in a lower yield or contamination of the sample. It is possible that these particles formed due to the evaporation and cooling process during vacuum filtration of the saturated solution.
jacksie
After performing crystallization and melting point determination I determined that my unknown solid was phthalic acid, however I am left with the question:
At the end of the filtration of the purified solid, it was observed that a small quantity of fine colourless particles was contained in the filtrate that had been collected in a clean filtration flask. (vacuum filtration to separate crystals from solvent).
i) What were these particles?
ii) Explain why these particles formed in the filtrate.
iii) Explain what effect, if any, the formation of these particles might have on the experimental results.

I am thinking that these particles were either crystals that were so small that they passed through the filter, and this would then affect the experimental results as the yeld would be less, or that these are impurities, but if they are I am not sure why they would form in the filtrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Filtrate is a saturated solution. Under vacuum it was most likely partially evaporated, and cooled in the process.

--
methods

i) Without further information or analysis, it is difficult to determine exactly what these particles may be. However, they could potentially be impurities or byproducts of the crystallization process.

ii) The formation of these particles could be due to a number of factors. It is possible that they were present in the original sample and were not completely removed during the filtration process. Another possibility is that they formed as a result of incomplete crystallization, meaning that not all of the solid material was able to crystallize and some remained in the liquid phase.

iii) The presence of these particles could potentially affect the experimental results in a few ways. If they are impurities, they could alter the melting point or other physical properties of the solid, making it more difficult to accurately determine its identity. Additionally, if the particles are actually small crystals, their presence in the filtrate could lead to a lower yield of the desired solid, thus affecting the overall results of the experiment. It is important to carefully analyze and address the presence of these particles in order to obtain accurate and reliable results from the experiment. Further purification or analysis techniques may be necessary to fully understand their impact on the experimental results.

Related to Chemistry recrystallization lab

1. What is the purpose of a chemistry recrystallization lab?

The purpose of a chemistry recrystallization lab is to purify a solid compound by dissolving it in a solvent and then allowing it to crystallize out of solution. This process is used to remove impurities and produce a pure crystalline substance.

2. What are the materials needed for a recrystallization lab?

The materials needed for a recrystallization lab include a solid compound to be purified, a solvent, a hot plate or heating source, a stirring rod, a filter paper, a funnel, a beaker or flask, and a watch glass or other cover for the beaker or flask.

3. How does recrystallization work?

Recrystallization works by dissolving a solid compound in a solvent at a high temperature, and then allowing the solution to cool slowly. As the solution cools, the compound will begin to crystallize out of solution, leaving impurities behind. The crystals can then be separated from the solution through filtration, resulting in a pure substance.

4. What factors affect the success of a recrystallization lab?

The success of a recrystallization lab can be affected by several factors, including the choice of solvent, the temperature of the solvent, the rate and method of cooling, and the purity of the starting compound. It is important to choose a solvent in which the compound is highly soluble at high temperatures, but less soluble at lower temperatures to promote crystallization.

5. What are the common sources of error in a recrystallization lab?

Common sources of error in a recrystallization lab include using an inappropriate solvent, overheating the solution, not allowing enough time for the solution to cool and crystallize, and not filtering the solution properly. It is also important to accurately measure and record the amount of starting compound and solvent used to ensure accurate results.