Chemistry: Molecular Iodine and Atomic Iodine

In summary, molecular iodine (I<sub>2</sub>) is a diatomic molecule with two bonded iodine atoms, while atomic iodine (I) is a single free radical atom. Molecular iodine is produced by reacting potassium iodide with an oxidizing agent and has properties such as being a dark purple solid and undergoing sublimation. Atomic iodine is used in industrial processes and medical treatments and is less reactive and electronegative than other halogens, with a larger atomic radius.
Ly444999
So I just had a question about calculating moles atomic iodine when you have the moles of molecular iodine. In the chemical equation IO3-(aq) + I-(aq) + H+(aq) = I2(aq) + H2O(l)

Would the moles of atomic iodine be equal to the moles of the molecular iodine? or would the moles of atomic iodine be twice as much as molecular iodine?

Edit: Just realized the equation is unbalanced:
IO3-(aq) + 5I-(aq) + 6H+(aq) = 3I2(aq) + 3H2O(l)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about

I2 → 2I

Does it answer your question?

Likes Bystander

Related to Chemistry: Molecular Iodine and Atomic Iodine

1. What is the difference between molecular iodine and atomic iodine?

Molecular iodine (I2) is a diatomic molecule composed of two atoms of iodine bonded together. Atomic iodine (I) is a single atom of iodine that exists as a free radical.

2. How is molecular iodine produced?

Molecular iodine is produced by the reaction of potassium iodide (KI) with an oxidizing agent, such as hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), in the presence of an acid catalyst.

3. What are the properties of molecular iodine?

Molecular iodine is a dark purple solid at room temperature and has a characteristic odor. It is slightly soluble in water but highly soluble in organic solvents. It can also undergo sublimation, meaning it can change directly from a solid to a gas without passing through a liquid phase.

4. What are the uses of atomic iodine?

Atomic iodine is used in a variety of industrial processes, such as the production of acetic acid and the synthesis of plastics. It is also used as a disinfectant and in medical treatments, such as radioactive iodine therapy for thyroid conditions.

5. How is atomic iodine different from other halogens?

Atomic iodine is less reactive and less electronegative than other halogens, such as chlorine and fluorine. This makes it more stable and less likely to form compounds with other elements. It also has a larger atomic radius, making it less likely to form strong chemical bonds.