Chemistry Homework- Stoichiometry: Volume and Particle Calculations

In summary, the question asks for the volume of oxygen produced from the decomposition of a specified number of water molecules. Using dimensional analysis and the given equations, the answer is calculated to be 105.488L. The mol-mol ratio is necessary in this calculation. The reason for the 6.02 x 10^23 : 22.4L relationship is due to the equal kinetic energy of gas molecules at a given pressure and temperature.
SpoChi
Chemistry Homework-- Stoichiometry: Volume and Particle Calculations

This is only to check my work, and I may be updating this post with more problems. There are ten questions total, and this is NOT graded. Therefore, the help I receive goes toward my understanding, not my score.

Homework Statement

What VOLUME of oxygen is produced from the decomposition of 5.67 x 10^24 molecules of water?
Balanced equation:
2H2O >decomposes to> 2H2 + O2

Homework Equations

6.02 x 10^23 molecules : 22.4L @STP for any gas
Mol-Mol ratio = 1 mol O2/ 2 mol H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to go along with dimensional analysis format.
(5.67 x 10^24)/(6.02 x 10^23) x 1 mol O2/ 2 mol H2O x 22.4L = 105.488L

Is the mol-mol ratio necessary? Without it, the answer comes out to 210.977L (rounded).

Physics news on Phys.org

SpoChi said:
This is only to check my work, and I may be updating this post with more problems. There are ten questions total, and this is NOT graded. Therefore, the help I receive goes toward my understanding, not my score.

Homework Statement

What VOLUME of oxygen is produced from the decomposition of 5.67 x 10^24 molecules of water?
Balanced equation:
2H2O >decomposes to> 2H2 + O2

Homework Equations

6.02 x 10^23 molecules : 22.4L @STP for any gas
Mol-Mol ratio = 1 mol O2/ 2 mol H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to go along with dimensional analysis format.
(5.67 x 10^24)/() x 1 mol O2/ 2 mol H2O x 22.4L = 105.488L

Is the mol-mol ratio necessary? Without it, the answer comes out to 210.977L (rounded).

Your answer is correct, or more cautiously, I get the same.
Why are you insecure?
A mole of gas occupies i.e. 6.02 x 1023 molecules of gas, occupies 22.4 l at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature.
Independently of how many atoms are in each molecule.
I.e. 6.02 x 1023 molecules of gas occupies 22.4 l under standard conditions - however many atoms there are in each molecule.

6.02 x 1023 molecules of Argon (A), 6.02 x 1023 molecules of oxygen (O2) or 6.02 x 1023molecules of ethane (C2H6) all occupy 22.4 l even though this is 6.02 x 1023 atoms of A, 2X6.02 x 1023 atoms of O2, or 8X6.02 x1023 atoms of ethane .

The rough basic reason for that is that any gas at a given pressure and temperature has the same average kinetic energy in the translational movement of the molecules. If it didn't then say you had a balloon of argon surrounded by oxygen at the same pressure then the argon atoms bounding of the inside of the balloon would transfer different momentum to it outwards than the oxygen atoms bouncing would transfer inwards. The baloon would expand or contract, in fact the pressure could not have been the same outside and inside to start with. I am not saying that is quite obvious, but that is what is shown in kinetic theory somewhere in your textbooks or maybe someone could explain better here.

Last edited:

Great job on using dimensional analysis to solve this problem! Your approach is correct and it is always a good idea to include the mol-mol ratio in your calculations to ensure accuracy. In this case, since the balanced equation shows that 2 molecules of water decomposes to produce 1 molecule of oxygen, the mol-mol ratio is necessary to correctly convert the given number of molecules of water to the volume of oxygen produced. Keep up the good work!

Related to Chemistry Homework- Stoichiometry: Volume and Particle Calculations

1. How do I convert between volume and moles in stoichiometry calculations?

In order to convert between volume and moles, you will need to use the Ideal Gas Law, which states that PV = nRT. P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T represents temperature. By rearranging the equation to solve for n, you can convert between volume and moles by plugging in the values for pressure, volume, and temperature.

2. What is the difference between molar mass and molecular weight?

Molar mass and molecular weight are two ways of expressing the mass of a substance. Molar mass refers to the mass of one mole of a substance, while molecular weight refers to the mass of one molecule of a substance. Molar mass is typically measured in grams per mole (g/mol), while molecular weight is measured in atomic mass units (amu).

3. How do I calculate the number of particles in a given volume of a gas?

To calculate the number of particles in a given volume of a gas, you will need to use Avogadro's Law, which states that equal volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure contain the same number of particles. This means that you can use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the number of moles, and then use the conversion factor of 1 mole = 6.022 x 10^23 particles to find the number of particles in the given volume.

4. Can stoichiometry calculations be used for reactions involving liquids and solids?

Yes, stoichiometry calculations can be used for reactions involving liquids and solids. The principles of stoichiometry, such as the conservation of mass and the use of mole ratios, can be applied to all types of chemical reactions, regardless of the state of matter of the reactants and products.

5. What is the difference between limiting reactant and excess reactant?

A limiting reactant is the substance that is completely used up in a chemical reaction, while an excess reactant is the substance that is left over after the limiting reactant is completely consumed. The amount of product formed in a reaction is limited by the amount of the limiting reactant, but excess reactants can still affect the rate of the reaction and must be accounted for in stoichiometry calculations.