Chemical Equilibrium: Calculating K with Ideal Gas Law

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium constant for the reaction S2(g) + 2H2 (g) ←→ 2SH2(g) at high temperatures, given the initial amounts of H2 and SH2 and the equilibrium amount of S2, as well as the temperature and reaction volume. Using the ideal gas law, the initial moles of H2 and SH2 were calculated and used to find the equilibrium moles of S2. The equilibrium constant was then found using the formula K = [products]/[reactants]. The final value should be confirmed using stoichiometry.
Anna_Kwong

Homework Statement

It is a chem equilibrium question, involving the ICE table.

The following reaction:
S2(g) + 2H2 (g) ←→ 2SH2(g)
takes place at high temperatures. If the initial amount of H2 and SH2 is 1.75 g and 1.95 g, respectively, and at equilibrium the amount of S2(g) is found to be 0.00188 atm, what is the value of the equilibrium constant? Please give your answer to three significant figures. Given: T = 1670 K and Reaction Volume = 0.500 L. (Hint: you will need to use the ideal gas law).

Homework Equations

pv=nRT, ICE table

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was find the the mols of H2 and SH2 since we are given n=m/M. So I have those 2 for "I" initial.
Then I found the equilibrium mols of S2, by plugging into the formula pv=nRt, solving for n=pv/Rt and I get 2.00E-5.

Essentially, I know K = [products]/[reactants]. But I only know the "I" of H2 and SH2, and I only know the "E" of S2.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
K = P(product)/ P(reactant) when everything is in gas state.

how do I figure out the "C" in change? or is that even necessary..

remember when dealing with gases, use partial pressure. when dealing with solutions, use concentration.

ok so, kp= pSH2^2/ pH2^2 x pS2 , i know the value of pS2, which is 0.00188atm, how do I find the other 2 values needed to solve for the kp value? Thanks

My kp value is 0.580, can anyone confirm this please and thanks

Use stoichiometry of the reaction.

Kc vs Kp - it depends on what the question asks. When dealing with gases it is more likely that the answer expected is Kp, but it is also perfectly possible to calculate Kc and it will be a valid answer as well. Whether it will be accepted by your teacher... that's another story.

Seems to me like your Kp value is much too low. Show details of your work.

H2 :1.75g / 2.02g/mol = 0.866mol , use pv=nRT , p = nRT/v = (0.866mol)(0.082)(1670)/(0.5) = 237atm
SH2: 1.95g/34.06g/mol = 0.0572mol, use pv=nRT, p = nRT/v = (0.0572mol)(0.082)(1670)/(0.5)=15.7 atm
S2: 0.00188atm

kp= pSH2^2/pS2 x pH2^2 = (15.7)^2/((237)^2 x (0.00188)) = 2.33, eekk guess my calculations for the first run was incorrect, however, is the work done correctly?

Results looks much better now, although you have not accounted for the fact that your final mixture doesn't contain 1.75 g H2 nor 1.95 g of H2S - the first was produced together with S2, the latter was decomposed. You should use reaction stoichiometry for that.

Not that it will change much, but you should check it to be sure.

Related to Chemical Equilibrium: Calculating K with Ideal Gas Law

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system occur at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in the concentration of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium constant (K) calculated using the ideal gas law?

The equilibrium constant (K) can be calculated using the ideal gas law by first writing the balanced chemical equation for the reaction, then setting up an expression for K using the partial pressures of the gaseous reactants and products. This expression will be equal to the ratio of the product of the products' partial pressures to the product of the reactants' partial pressures.

3. What factors affect the value of the equilibrium constant (K)?

The value of the equilibrium constant (K) is affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. It is also influenced by the nature of the reactants and products, as well as the presence of a catalyst.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to chemical equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in a way that reduces the effects of the stress. This applies to chemical equilibrium by predicting how changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products will affect the direction of the reaction and the value of the equilibrium constant (K).

5. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant (K) in chemical reactions?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the extent to which a chemical reaction proceeds to completion. It provides information about the relative concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, and can be used to predict the direction of the reaction and the amount of product that will be formed under different conditions.