Checking solutions - textbook wrong about roots?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation and checking the validity of the solutions. The person initially gets the solutions x = 1, 8 by squaring both sides of the equation. However, they question the validity of x = 1 as their textbook says it is not a valid solution. The person then points out that the LHS also equals -2, causing confusion about the correct solution. The expert clarifies that √x, where x is a positive number, represents the positive square root and not a positive or negative value. Therefore, the person's textbook is correct and they have a misunderstanding about square roots.
BMW
Checking solutions -- textbook wrong about roots?

If I have the equation sqrt(3x + 1) = x - 3 and I need to solve for x, by squaring both sides then solving the resulting quadratic, I get the solutions x = 1, 8

However, since I squared the equation, I need to check if the solutions are valid. My calculus textbook says that x = 1 is not a valid solution as the LHS (sqrt(3(1) + 1)) = 2 and the RHS (1 - 3) = -2

However, the LHS also equals -2 as the square root of 4 is +/- 2.

So, is my textboox wrong? Or have I got the wrong idea somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
BMW said:
If I have the equation sqrt(3x + 1) = x - 3 and I need to solve for x, by squaring both sides then solving the resulting quadratic, I get the solutions x = 1, 8

However, since I squared the equation, I need to check if the solutions are valid. My calculus textbook says that x = 1 is not a valid solution as the LHS (sqrt(3(1) + 1)) = 2 and the RHS (1 - 3) = -2

However, the LHS also equals -2 as the square root of 4 is +/- 2.
No, √4 = 2. It is a common misconception to think that, for example, √(25) = ± 5. The symbol √x, where x is a positive number, represents the positive square root.
BMW said:
So, is my textboox wrong? Or have I got the wrong idea somehow?

Related to Checking solutions - textbook wrong about roots?

1. What should I do if the roots I calculated do not match the textbook's solutions?

First, double check your calculations to make sure there are no errors. Then, check to see if the textbook made a mistake in their solution. You can also try plugging in your calculated roots into the original equation to see if they satisfy the equation.

2. How can I check if a root is correct?

You can check if a root is correct by plugging it into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a correct root.

3. Can a quadratic equation have more than two roots?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two roots. This is because a quadratic equation is a second-degree polynomial, which means it can only have a maximum of two solutions.

4. Why do some equations have complex roots?

Some quadratic equations have complex roots because they involve taking the square root of a negative number. These complex roots can still be valid solutions to the equation, but they are not real numbers.

5. What do I do if I am unable to find any roots for a quadratic equation?

If you are unable to find any roots for a quadratic equation, it means that the equation has no real solutions. This can happen if the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is negative, indicating that the equation has complex roots. If you are looking for real solutions, you can try using the quadratic formula or factoring the equation to see if it can be simplified and solved for real roots.