Checking Linear Independence. Using Wronskian vs. Using Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the linear independence of the set {cos(x), cos(2x)}. The definition of linear independence is stated, along with the Wronskian theorem. The conversation concludes with a contradiction, as the Wronskian of the set is nonzero, indicating linear independence, but the chosen values for a and b in the linear combination lead to a conclusion of linear dependence. The error is identified as misinterpreting the definition of linear dependence.
mef51

Homework Statement

Is the set $$ \{cos(x), cos(2x)\} $$ linearly independent?

Homework Equations

Definition: Linear Independence
A set of functions is linearly dependent on a ≤ x ≤ b if there exists constants not all zero
such that a linear combination of the functions in the set are equal to zero.

Definition: Wronskian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wronskian

Theorem
(see wiki link as well)
If the Wronskian of a set of n functions defined on the interval a ≤ x ≤ b is nonzero for at least one point then the set of functions is linearly independent there.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say I'm using the interval [-∞, ∞]. First, I'll use the definition.

Consider
$$ a*cos(x) + b*cos(2x) $$
Now, pick x = 0, a = 1, b = 1
$$ 1*cos(0) - 1*cos(0) = 0 $$
Since a ≠ 0 and b≠ 0, I conclude from the definition that the functions are linearly dependent.

Now, I'll use the Wronskian.

$$ W(cos(x), cos(2x)) = \left| \begin{array}{cc}
cos(x) & cos(2x) \\
-sin(x) & -2sin(2x) \end{array} \right| =
-2sin(2x)cos(x) + sin(x)cos(2x) $$

Pick x = ∏/4. Then,

$$ W = -2sin(\frac{\pi}{2})cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) + sin(\frac{\pi}{4})cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) =
\frac{-2}{\sqrt{2}} ≠ 0$$

So, by the Theorem above, since the Wronskian is nonzero, I conclude that the functions are linearly independent.

A contradiction. What in flying flip went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey got it!

I misinterpreted the definition of linear dependence.

The constants need to be non-zero for all x on the interval. I just chose one x.

Related to Checking Linear Independence. Using Wronskian vs. Using Definition

1. What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It involves calculating the determinant of a matrix formed by the derivatives of the functions, and if the determinant is non-zero, the functions are considered linearly independent.

2. How is the Wronskian used to check for linear independence?

The Wronskian is used by calculating the determinant of a matrix formed by the functions in question. If the determinant is non-zero, the functions are linearly independent. This method is more efficient than using the definition of linear independence, which involves solving a system of equations.

3. What is the definition of linear independence?

The definition of linear independence states that a set of functions is linearly independent if the only way to form a linear combination of the functions that equals zero is by setting all the coefficients to zero.

4. When should I use the Wronskian method to check for linear independence?

The Wronskian method should be used when you have a set of functions that are differentiable and you want to quickly determine their linear independence. This method is especially useful for larger sets of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Wronskian method?

Yes, the Wronskian method can only be used for differentiable functions. It also cannot be used to check for linear independence of non-homogeneous functions. In these cases, the definition of linear independence must be used.