Check work on finding max error of Surface Area

In summary, we can estimate the maximum error in calculating the surface area of a closed rectangular box with dimensions 80cm, 60cm, and 50cm, and a possible error of 0.2cm in each dimension, by using differentials. By differentiating the surface area formula with respect to each dimension and plugging in the given values, we get a maximum error of 152cm^2, which is approximately 0.06% of the actual surface area. This method is useful for estimating errors in calculations involving multiple variables.
tnutty

Homework Statement

The dimensions of a closed rectangular box are measured as 80cm, 60cm, and 50cm,respectively,
with a possible error of 0.2cm in each dimension. Use differentials to estimate the maximum error
in calculating the surface area of the box

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the surface area of a closed rectangular box is this :

SA = 2[ xy + yz + xz]

so, differentiating with respect to x,y and z I get :

d[SA] = 2[ yzD_x + xzD_y + xyD_y]

inserting value,
x = 80
y = 60
z = 50
dx = dy = dz = 0.2 ; since this is where the max error will occur I get

d[SA] = 152cm^2

which is about 0.06% error.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
tnutty said:

Homework Statement

The dimensions of a closed rectangular box are measured as 80cm, 60cm, and 50cm,respectively,
with a possible error of 0.2cm in each dimension. Use differentials to estimate the maximum error
in calculating the surface area of the box

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the surface area of a closed rectangular box is this :

SA = 2[ xy + yz + xz]

so, differentiating with respect to x,y and z I get :

d[SA] = 2[ yzD_x + xzD_y + xyD_y]

inserting value,
x = 80
y = 60
z = 50
dx = dy = dz = 0.2 ; since this is where the max error will occur I get

d[SA] = 152cm^2

which is about 0.06% error.

Is this correct?
That's what I get.

Thanks

Ummm...i plugged in The numbers for this, and my answer is too big (4720) when x=80,y=60,z=50, and the d's being 0.2 exactly how were the numbers plugged in? There is a step I'm missing.

Black Jackal said:
Ummm...i plugged in The numbers for this, and my answer is too big (4720) when x=80,y=60,z=50, and the d's being 0.2 exactly how were the numbers plugged in? There is a step I'm missing.

What formula did you use? Both the OP and I got exactly the same result with the formula he posted.

Is your answer 0.06% derived from 152/23600?

0.2((2y+2z)+(2x+2z)+(2y+2x))

where
(2y+2z) is the partial derivative of SA with respect to x
(2x+2z) is the partial derivative of SA with respect to y
(2y+2x) is the partial derivative of SA with respect to z

Related to Check work on finding max error of Surface Area

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum error of surface area?

The purpose of finding the maximum error of surface area is to determine the accuracy of a measurement or calculation. It allows scientists to understand how close their results are to the true value, and to identify any potential sources of error in their methods.

2. How is the maximum error of surface area calculated?

The maximum error of surface area is calculated by taking the difference between the measured or calculated value and the true value, and then dividing by the true value. This result is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, which represents the maximum error.

3. What factors can contribute to the maximum error of surface area?

There are several factors that can contribute to the maximum error of surface area, including human error in measurement or calculation, limitations of equipment or instruments used, and variations in the surface being measured.

4. How can the maximum error of surface area be minimized?

The maximum error of surface area can be minimized by using precise and accurate measurement techniques, calibrating equipment regularly, and repeating measurements multiple times to ensure consistency. It is also important to identify and minimize any potential sources of error in the experimental setup.

5. Is it necessary to calculate the maximum error of surface area for every measurement?

It is not necessary to calculate the maximum error of surface area for every measurement, but it is recommended to do so for important or critical measurements. For routine measurements, it may be sufficient to estimate the maximum error based on previous data or known sources of error.