[check exercise] Perturbation theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the degeneracy of the Hamiltonian and the use of perturbation theory to find energy-level shifts and eigenvectors. The exact solution for the problem is also given, with the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors. There is also a discussion about writing |2> as a linear combination of |v1> and |v2> and the correction of a typo in the value for lambda3. Finally, it is clarified that the new eigenvalues correspond to the new energy levels for the states |v1>, |v2>, and |v3>.
bznm
I have solved this exercise, but I'm not sure that it is good. Please, can you check it? A lot of thanks!

1. Homework Statement

The hamiltonian is ##H_0=\epsilon |1><1|+5/2 \epsilon (|2><2|+|3><3|)##
The perturbation is given by ##\Delta(|2><3|+|3><2|)##

Discuss the degeneration of H0.
Using perturbation theory, find energy-level shift and their eigenvectors.
Solve *exaclty* the problem with ##H=H_0+V##
Consider ##\Delta=\epsilon/2## . In t=0, the system is described by ##|s(0)>=|2>##,. Find ##|s(t)>##2. The attempt at a solution
H is degenerative: the eigenvalue relative to the vector |1> is epsilon. But vectors |2> and |3> have the same eigenvalue.

The energy level related to |1> hasn't energy shift produced by V.
Energy shifts for |2> and |3> are ##\pm \Delta##

For ##\lambda=\Delta## the eigenvector is ##|v_1>=1/ \sqrt 2 (|2>+|3>)##
For ##\lambda=- \Delta## the eigenvector is ##|v_2>=1/ \sqrt 2 (|2>-|3>)##

The exactly resolution of the problem, give me the eigenvalues: ##\lambda_1= \epsilon##, ##\lambda_2= 5/2 \epsilon + \Delta##, ##\lambda_3= \epsilon##. The corresponding eigenvectors are ##v_0=|1>##, ##|v_1>=1/ \sqrt 2 (|2>+|3>)## ,##|v_2>=1/ \sqrt 2 (|2>-|3>)##

The last point is the one that I'm not so sure that could be good:

I have written |2> as linear combination of |v_1> and v_2>:
##|2>= 1/ \sqrt 2 (|V_1>+|v_2>##, so
##|s(t)>=e^{-iHt/ \hbar} 1/ \sqrt 2 (|V_1>+|v_2>)= 1/ \sqrt 2 e^{-i2 \epsilon t / \hbar} (|v_2>+e^{-i \epsilon t / \hbar} |v_1>)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Check again your value for ##\lambda_3##.

Oh, I'm sorry! I have done a typo.. :(
## \lambda_3 =5/2 \epsilon - \Delta ##

bznm said:
##|s(t)>=e^{-iHt/ \hbar} 1/ \sqrt 2 (|V_1>+|v_2>)= 1/ \sqrt 2 e^{-i2 \epsilon t / \hbar} (|v_2>+e^{-i \epsilon t / \hbar} |v_1>)##
The eigenvalues of the new Hamiltonian give you the new energy level corresponding to ##|v_1\rangle##, ##|v_2\rangle##, and ##|v_3\rangle##. Therefore ##e^{-iHt/\hbar}|v_i \rangle = e^{-iH\lambda_i t/\hbar}|v_i \rangle ## for ##i=1,2,3##.

mmh.. I haven't understood.. where was I wrong?

Ah sorry I just realized we are using different indexing for the new states. Yes your answer is correct.

Related to [check exercise] Perturbation theory

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, solvable parts.

2. What are the applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is commonly used in physics, engineering, and applied mathematics to study systems that can be described by differential equations. It has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, fluid mechanics, and celestial mechanics.

3. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory involves starting with a known solution to a problem and making small adjustments or "perturbations" to the parameters or variables in the problem. These perturbations are used to calculate an approximate solution, which is then refined by making additional perturbations until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is only effective for problems where the perturbations are small and the solutions can be approximated by a series expansion. It also assumes that the system is stable and that the perturbations do not significantly alter the behavior of the system.

5. Are there alternative methods to perturbation theory?

Yes, there are alternative methods to perturbation theory such as numerical methods, variational methods, and direct solution methods. These methods may be more accurate or efficient for certain types of problems, but they also have their own limitations and may not be applicable in all situations.