Charting My Way to an Engineering Degree: A First Generation Student's Story

In summary: I have 23 hours in ae and am wondering if I can still get a degree.Thank you for your email. You are correct, you must have at least 25 hours of specific ae classes to receive a degree in aerospace engineering.
Chris712
Hello,

I'm a first generation student, and I'm attending college for the first time.

I created a course map by semester.

I would like to get some input from you guys regarding its arrangement.

Fall 2012

ENC 1101 Freshman Composition Skills I
SPC 2608 Effective Speaking
HUM 1020 Introduction to theHumanities
ISS 1013 Introduction to the SocialScience
MAC 1105 College Algebra

Total Credits Fa12 15

Spring 2013

ENC 1102 FreshmanComposition Skills II
POS 2041 AmericanNational Government
MAC 1147 Pre-calculus Algebra/ Trigonometry
CHM 2045, GeneralChemistry I

Total Credits Sp13 15

Summer 2013

PHI2631 Ethics inBusiness
MAC 2311 CalculusI with Analytical Geometry
BSC2010 GeneralBiology I
HLP1081 PersonalWellness

Total Credits Su13 14

Fall 2013

MAC 2312 CalculusII with Analytical Geometry
PHY 2048C GeneralPhysics with Calculus I with Lab

Total Credits Fa13 10

Spring 2014

MAC 2313 Calculus III with AnalyticalGeometry
MAP 2302 Elementary Differential Equations
PHY 2049C GeneralPhysics with Calculus II with Lab

Total Credits Sp14 12

Total Credits 66

I'm getting an A.A in Engineering and intend to get a B.S in Aerospace Engineering.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My Fall 2012 Schedule

Monday

HUM1020 8:00a – 9:15a Introduction to the Humanities
MAC1105 9:30a - 10:45a College Algebra
ENC1101 11:00a - 12:15p Freshman Composition Skills I

Tuesday

HUM1020 8:00a - 9:15a Introduction to the Humanities
SPC2608 9:30a - 10:45a Effective Speaking
ISS1013 11:00a - 12:15p Introduction to the Social Science

Wednesday

MAC1105 9:30a - 10:45a College Algebra
ENC1101 11:00a - 12:15p Freshman Composition Skills I

Thursday

SPC2608 9:30a - 10:45a Effective Speaking
ISS1013 11:00a – 12:15p Introduction to the Social Science

Even thought almost 200 people have viewed this and none have responded, I have since made changes to my courses. Here's what it looks like now.

Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.Fall 2012

ENC 1101 Freshman Composition Skills I
SPC 2608 Effective Speaking
HUM 1020 Introduction to the Humanities
ISS 1013 Introduction to the Social Science
MAC 1105 College Algebra
CGS1100 Microcomputer Applications

Total Credits Fa12 18

Spring 2013

ENC1102 Freshman Composition Skills II
POS2041 American National Government
MAC1147 Pre-calculus Algebra/ Trigonometry
BSC2010 General Biology I
CGS2540 Database Management Systems

Total Credits Sp13 17

Summer 2013

PHI2631 Ethics in Business
MAC 2311 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
HLP1081 Personal Wellness

Total Credits Su13 11

Fall 2013

MAC 2312 Calculus II with Analytical Geometry
PHY 2048C General Physics with Calculus I with Lab
CHM2045 General Chemistry I

Total Credits Fa13 14

Spring 2014

MAC2313 Calculus III with Analytical Geometry
MAP2302 Elementary Differential Equations
PHY2049C General Physics with Calculus II with Lab
COP2250 Java Programming

Total Credits Sp14 15

Total Credits 75

hi, I am trying to be an aerospace engineer and according to ut of austin you have to have at least 25 hours of specific ae classes

Hello,

Congratulations on charting your way to an engineering degree! It's great to see that you have created a course map to guide you through your academic journey. Your plan looks well-structured and well-paced, with a good balance of courses each semester.

One suggestion I have is to consider taking a course in basic programming or computer science, as these skills are becoming increasingly important in the engineering field. Additionally, it may be beneficial to look into any internship or research opportunities that can provide hands-on experience in your field of interest.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place and I wish you all the best in your studies. Keep up the hard work and don't hesitate to reach out for any additional support or guidance along the way. Best of luck in your pursuit of a degree in aerospace engineering!

Related to Charting My Way to an Engineering Degree: A First Generation Student's Story

1. What inspired you to pursue an engineering degree as a first generation student?

I have always been fascinated by how things work and solving problems. Growing up, my parents instilled in me the value of education and encouraged me to pursue a career in a field that I was passionate about. As a first generation student, I saw obtaining an engineering degree as an opportunity to pave the way for future generations in my family and make them proud.

2. What challenges did you face as a first generation student in pursuing an engineering degree?

As a first generation student, I faced many challenges such as navigating the college application process and understanding the financial aid system. Additionally, I had to adjust to the rigorous coursework and develop effective study habits. The lack of familiarity with higher education and the engineering field also made it difficult for me to seek guidance and support from my family.

3. How did you overcome these challenges and succeed in obtaining your engineering degree?

I overcame these challenges by seeking support and guidance from my professors, academic advisors, and peers. I also took advantage of resources such as tutoring, study groups, and workshops to strengthen my understanding of the coursework. Additionally, I joined organizations and clubs related to engineering, which helped me build a network of like-minded individuals and gain valuable insights and advice.

4. What advice do you have for other first generation students pursuing an engineering degree?

My advice would be to not be afraid to ask for help and utilize all available resources. It is also important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek opportunities for internships or research experiences. Surround yourself with a supportive network and do not be discouraged by setbacks, as they are a natural part of the learning process.

5. How has your engineering degree impacted your career and future goals?

My engineering degree has opened many doors for me and provided me with a strong foundation of technical knowledge and problem-solving skills. It has also allowed me to pursue a career in a field that I am passionate about and make a positive impact on society. In the future, I hope to continue to grow and advance in my career and potentially mentor and support other first generation students pursuing engineering degrees.

Back