Charging and discharging RC circuits

In summary: So after the switch is opened, it will take about 21.95 ms for the charge on the capacitor to be halved.In summary, the current at point A immediately after the switch closes is 12.00mA and at the end of the quaternary period, there is no current at point A. After the switch is opened and some time has passed, the charge on capacitor C will be half its original value after approximately 21.95 ms. At that time, the current at point B is 1.579mA.
WJSwanson

Homework Statement

The RC circuit pictured below begins with capacitor C completely uncharged.

I: What is the current at point A immediately after the switch closes?
II:What is the current at point A 'at the end of the quaternary period' (I lol'd when he worded it like that) after the switch is closed?
III: 'After a few proton half-lives,' (again, lol) the switch is opened by alien explorers. Let us call this time t0. After how much additional time will the charge on capacitor C equal half its charge when the switch was first opened?
IV: At that time, what is the current at point B?

[itex]E = 12.00V[/itex]
[itex]C = 15.00\mu F[/itex]
[itex]R_1 = 1000\Omega[/itex]
[itex]R_2 = 2000\Omega[/itex]
[itex]R_3 = 1500\Omega[/itex]
[itex]R_4 = 1000\Omega[/itex]

(NOTE: I will be using "E" to denote the emf because I can't find a script E.)

The RC Circuit:
4Cxts.png

Homework Equations

Charging:
[itex] q = CE(1 - e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})})[/itex]

[itex] i = \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{-CE}{RC} * e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})}[/itex]

Discharging:

[itex] q = q_0 e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})}[/itex]

[itex] i = \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{-q_0}{RC} * e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I: Since the capacitor is uncharged at the beginning and point A is connected directly to the voltage source, the current across A is simply given by

[itex]i_A = \frac{E}{R_1} = \frac{12V}{1000\Omega} = 0.0120A = 12.00mA[/itex]

II: Because the capacitor is fully charged by the time the next geological period commences, there is no current across point A.

III: By the relation noted above for the charge on a discharging capacitor in an open RC circuit,

[itex]q = \frac{1}{2}q_0 = q_0 * e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})} \Rightarrow e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{-t}{RC} = ln(\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow t = -RC * -ln(2) = RC * ln(2)[/itex]

[itex]t = 1000\Omega * 1.500 * 10^{-5}F * 0.6931 = 1.040 * 10^{-2}s = 10.40ms[/itex]

IV: The current through capacitor C, resistor R1, and point A (as well as through the equivalent resistance of R2 in parallel with R3 and R4) goes as the quotient of the potential difference across the capacitor and the equivalent resistance of the circuit:

[itex]R = R_1 + (\frac{1}{R_2} + \frac{1}{R_3 + R_4})^{-1} = 2111\Omega

[itex]i = \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{q_0}{RC} * e^{(\frac{-t}{RC})} = \frac{q_0}{RC} * e^{ln(1/2)} = \frac{q_0}{2RC} = \frac{CV_0}{2RC} = \frac{V_0}{2R} = \frac{12V}{4222\Omega} = 2.842mA = 2.842 * 10^{-3}A[/itex]

This is the part I'm less sure about:

I think that if you traverse the circuit counterclockwise (starting at C, going through R1, and then going through the parallel resistors) then the circuit follows the Kirchhoff rules. (It would follow them going clockwise as well, with the opposite signs compared to counterclockwise.)

So the potential across the capacitor is given by [itex]V = \frac{q}{C}[/itex]. This means that the potential across the wire connecting R2 and R4 to R1 -- and thus at point B -- is given by

[itex]V_B = q_{0}e^{ln(1/2)} - iR_1 = \frac{9.000 * 10^{-5}C}{1.500 * 10^{-5}F} - 2.842 * 10^{-3}A * 1.000 * 10^{3}\Omega = 3.158V[/itex].

And since passing through the parallel resistors through either path leads to an equipotential surface with 0 potential, the potential drop across the R3 & R4 series and across R2 (which is in series with point B) is 3.158V. Thus,

[itex]i_B = \frac{V_B}{R_2} = \frac{3.158V}{2000\Omega} = 1.579 * 10^{-3}A = 1.579mA[/itex]

So to summarize the results:

I: iA = 12.00mA = 1.200 * 10-2A

II: iA = 0

III: t = 10.40ms = 1.040 * 10-2s

IV: iB = 1.579mA = 1.579 * 10-3A

Physics news on Phys.org
For part III the capacitor will be discharging through the entire resistor network, not just R1. So the value of the time constant must take into account the entire equivalent resistance.

The equivalent resistance that the capacitor "sees" while discharging with be:

##R_{eq} = R_1 + \left[ \frac{R_2 (R_3 + R_4)}{R_2 + R_3 + R_4} \right] = 2.111~kΩ##

and the time constant becomes:

##\tau = R_{eq} C = 31.67~ms##

This gives us the time to discharge half of the charge as:

##t = ln(2) \tau = 21.95~ms##

Related to Charging and discharging RC circuits

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity and can be used for various applications such as timing, filtering, and amplification.

How does a capacitor charge in an RC circuit?

When an RC circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor initially behaves as an open circuit, blocking the flow of current. As time passes, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the power source, allowing current to flow through the circuit. The rate at which the capacitor charges is dependent on the values of the resistor and capacitor.

What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to approximately 63.2% of the power source voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values together (RC).

How does a capacitor discharge in an RC circuit?

When the power source is disconnected from an RC circuit, the capacitor will begin to discharge. This is because the capacitor now acts as a temporary power source, supplying current to the circuit. The rate at which the capacitor discharges is also dependent on the values of the resistor and capacitor.

What is the significance of an RC circuit's time constant?

The time constant of an RC circuit is important because it determines the speed at which the capacitor charges and discharges. This can be useful in various applications such as timing circuits and filters, where the capacitor's charging and discharging rates need to be controlled. It also allows us to calculate the voltage and current at any given time in an RC circuit.