Charged Sphere with off-center cavity Electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a uniformly charged sphere with a spherical off-center cavity. The charge density, radii of the sphere and cavity, and the distance between their centers are given. The total charge and dipole moment of this configuration are calculated using the superposition principle. The electric field inside the cavity is found using the same principle. It is also shown that the field far from the sphere is that of a charge with a dipole correction. The charge and dipole moment obtained in part (a) are then confirmed. The use of coordinates and the sign of the dipole moment are discussed, and the electric field of the hollow sphere is found to be the sum of the full sphere and a small, opposit
EnderTheGreat

Homework Statement

Consider a sphere uniformly charged over volume, apart from a spherical
off-center cavity. The charge density is ρ, radius of the sphere is a, radius of the cavity is
b, and the distance between the centers is d, d < a-b. (a) Find the total charge and the
dipole moment (with respect to the center of the large sphere) of this configuration. (b) Use
superposition principle to find the electric field inside the cavity. (c) Show that far from the
sphere the field is that of a charge plus dipole correction. Check that the charge and the
dipole moment correspond to that of part (a).

Homework Equations

ρ=Q/V
p=Ʃq_i(r_i-r)
E_sphere=Qr/4piεR^2 for r<R
superposition principle

The Attempt at a Solution

total charge I'm fairly certain is (4/3)piρ(a^3-b^3) just the large sphere minus the cavity.
The dipole moment i attempted to use a sum p=q_a(0-0)+q_b(d-0) and got

p=(4/3)pi*ρ*b^3*d (from the center of the cavity towards the center of the large sphere)

for b) I tried to find the Electric field due to the large sphere ((4/3)piρa^3)*(r/4piεa^2) and the field from the small sphere ((4/3)piρb^3)*(r/4piεb^2) but I am not sure what coordinate system i should be using, nor how to superimpose/sum the fields correctly.

c) We were not taught nor can i find anything in the book about a dipole correction, so I'm lost for this part.

(I wasnt sure if this should go in Advanced or Introductory physics, so it is in both, I will remove the other as soon as one is replied too, sorry)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can consider the hollow sphere as a full one + a small sphere with opposite charge, so you get zero charge inside the cavity. You can direct your system of coordinates any way, choose the most convenient: the centres of the spheres line up along one coordinate axis.
According to this model, the dipole moment is the same as that of a point charge q at distance d from the centre of the big sphere. Take care with the sign: The dipole moment points from the negative charge to the positive one.
The electric field of the hollow sphere is the sum of the full sphere + the small oppositely charged sphere at the place of the cavity. Check your work: The electric field at distance r depends on the charge enclosed in the sphere of radius r. If r<b the enclosed charge is less than the total charge of the sphere.

ehild

Related to Charged Sphere with off-center cavity Electric field

What is a charged sphere with an off-center cavity?

A charged sphere with an off-center cavity is a conducting sphere that has a hollow interior space that is not centered within the sphere. This creates an uneven distribution of charge on the surface of the sphere, resulting in an electric field that is not symmetrical.

How is the electric field affected by the off-center cavity?

The electric field of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity is affected by the position of the cavity. The closer the cavity is to the edge of the sphere, the more distorted and uneven the electric field becomes.

What is the mathematical expression for the electric field of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity?

The mathematical expression for the electric field of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity is given by the superposition of the electric field of a point charge and the electric field of a uniformly charged spherical shell. It can be expressed as E = kQ/r^2 + Qc/r^3, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and Qc is the charge of the off-center cavity.

How does the electric potential vary in a charged sphere with an off-center cavity?

The electric potential in a charged sphere with an off-center cavity is not constant and varies according to the position within the sphere. The potential is highest at the edge of the cavity and decreases as you move towards the center of the sphere.

What is the significance of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity in practical applications?

Charged spheres with off-center cavities have practical applications in various fields such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and even in electronic devices. They can be used to create non-uniform electric fields for experiments or to control the direction and strength of the electric field in certain applications.