Charged Sphere with off-center cavity Electric field

In summary, we have calculated the total charge and dipole moment of a configuration consisting of a large sphere with a small, off-center cavity. We have also used the superposition principle to find the electric field inside the cavity and shown that far from the sphere, the electric field can be approximated as the sum of the electric field from a point charge and a dipole. The charge and dipole moment calculated in part (a) can be used to verify this approximation.
EnderTheGreat

Homework Statement

Consider a sphere uniformly charged over volume, apart from a spherical
off-center cavity. The charge density is ρ, radius of the sphere is a, radius of the cavity is
b, and the distance between the centers is d, d < a-b. (a) Find the total charge and the
dipole moment (with respect to the center of the large sphere) of this configuration. (b) Use
superposition principle to find the electric field inside the cavity. (c) Show that far from the
sphere the field is that of a charge plus dipole correction. Check that the charge and the
dipole moment correspond to that of part (a).

Homework Equations

ρ=Q/V
p=Ʃq_i(r_i-r)
E_sphere=Qr/4piεR^2 for r<R
superposition principle

The Attempt at a Solution

total charge I'm fairly certain is (4/3)piρ(a^3-b^3) just the large sphere minus the cavity.
The dipole moment i attempted to use a sum p=q_a(0-0)+q_b(d-0) and got

p=(4/3)pi*ρ*b^3*d (from the center of the cavity towards the center of the large sphere)

for b) I tried to find the Electric field due to the large sphere ((4/3)piρa^3)*(r/4piεa^2) and the field from the small sphere ((4/3)piρb^3)*(r/4piεb^2) but I am not sure what coordinate system i should be using, nor how to superimpose/sum the fields correctly.

c) We were not taught nor can i find anything in the book about a dipole correction, so I'm lost for this part.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Let me address each part of your question separately.

a) You are correct in your calculation of the total charge. However, I believe your calculation for the dipole moment is incorrect. The dipole moment is the sum of all the individual charges multiplied by their respective distances from the origin. In this case, the origin is the center of the large sphere. So, the dipole moment should be p = q_a*d - q_b*(a-d) = (4/3)piρ*b^3*d - (4/3)piρ*a^3*(a-d).

b) To find the electric field inside the cavity, we can use the superposition principle. The electric field inside the cavity will be the sum of the electric fields from the large sphere and the small sphere. The electric field from the large sphere can be found using the equation E = (1/4piε)*(Q/r^2), where Q is the charge of the large sphere and r is the distance from the center of the large sphere. The electric field from the small sphere can be found using the equation E = (1/4piε)*(q/r^2), where q is the charge of the small sphere and r is the distance from the center of the small sphere. Since the electric field from the large sphere will be pointing away from the center of the large sphere and the electric field from the small sphere will be pointing towards the center of the small sphere, we can add these two fields together to get the total electric field inside the cavity.

c) The dipole correction refers to the fact that when we are far away from the sphere, the electric field can be approximated as the sum of the electric field from a point charge and the electric field from a dipole. The electric field from a point charge is given by E = (1/4piε)*(q/r^2), where q is the charge of the point charge and r is the distance from the point charge. The electric field from a dipole is given by E = (1/4piε)*(p/r^3), where p is the dipole moment and r is the distance from the center of the dipole. So, when we are far away from the sphere, we can use these equations to approximate the electric field. To check that the charge and dipole moment correspond to those found in part (a), we

Related to Charged Sphere with off-center cavity Electric field

1. What is a charged sphere with an off-center cavity and how does it affect the electric field?

A charged sphere with an off-center cavity is a conducting sphere that has a hollow area inside of it, which is not located at the center of the sphere. This cavity causes a distortion in the electric field surrounding the sphere, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.

2. How does the electric field change as the cavity is moved within the sphere?

The electric field around the sphere will change depending on the position of the cavity within the sphere. When the cavity is closer to the edge of the sphere, the electric field will be more distorted and non-uniform. As the cavity is moved towards the center of the sphere, the electric field will become more symmetrical and uniform.

3. What is the effect of the size of the cavity on the electric field?

The size of the cavity also plays a role in the distortion of the electric field. A larger cavity will cause a greater distortion in the electric field, while a smaller cavity will have a smaller effect on the electric field. This is because the larger the cavity, the more charges are displaced from their original positions, resulting in a larger change in the electric field.

4. How does the charge of the sphere and the cavity affect the electric field?

The charge of the sphere and the cavity both contribute to the overall electric field. The electric field will be stronger if the sphere and cavity have opposite charges, while it will be weaker if they have the same charge. Additionally, the overall strength of the electric field will increase as the charges on the sphere and cavity increase.

5. What are some real-world applications of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity?

One real-world application of a charged sphere with an off-center cavity is in particle accelerators, where the cavity is used to generate a strong electric field to accelerate particles. Another application is in electrostatic painting, where the non-uniform electric field is used to evenly coat a surface with paint. This concept is also important in understanding the electric fields of atoms and molecules in chemistry and materials science.