Charged Particles (Potential Energy)

In summary, four pairs of charged particles with identical separations are shown in Figure 24-21. According to the electric potential energy equation (U = W = (kq1q2)/r), the ranking of the pairs from greatest to least potential energy is 3, 4, 2, 1. As for the effect of increasing separation on potential energy, pairs 3 and 4 would decrease in potential energy while pairs 1 and 2 would increase.
kilnvzol

Homework Statement

Figure 24-21 shows four pairs of charged particles with identical separations. (a) Rank the pairs according to their electric potential energy (that is, the energy of the two-particle system), greatest (most positive) first. (b) For each pair, if the separation between the particles is increased,does the potential energy of the pair increase or decrease?
image102120141236.png

Homework Equations

U = W = (kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I got the ranking 3,2,4,1 by subtracting the second particle from the first one. ie. (1) -2-(+6) = -8
For part b, I got 1,4 increase whereas 2,3 decrease from the equation.
I haven't gotten the answers to these but I want to make sure I'm right.
Thank you! :oldbiggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
kilnvzol said:

Homework Statement

Figure 24-21 shows four pairs of charged particles with identical separations. (a) Rank the pairs according to their electric potential energy (that is, the energy of the two-particle system), greatest (most positive) first. (b) For each pair, if the separation between the particles is increased,does the potential energy of the pair increase or decrease?
image102120141236.png

Homework Equations

U = W = (kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I got the ranking 3,2,4,1 by subtracting the second particle from the first one. ie. (1) -2-(+6) = -8
For part b, I got 1,4 increase whereas 2,3 decrease from the equation.
I haven't gotten the answers to these but I want to make sure I'm right.
Thank you! :oldbiggrin:
Not correct.

Did you use the relevant equation ?

SammyS said:
Not correct.

Did you use the relevant equation ?
Would this be right?
a. 3=4>2=1
b. 3&4 decrease 1&2 increase

kilnvzol said:
Would this be right?
a. 3=4>2=1
b. 3&4 decrease 1&2 increase
That looks to be correct .

SammyS said:
That looks to be correct .
Thank you!

Related to Charged Particles (Potential Energy)

What are charged particles?

Charged particles are particles that have an electric charge, either positive or negative. This charge is caused by an imbalance of protons and electrons within the particle.

How does potential energy relate to charged particles?

Potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. This energy is dependent on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

What is the formula for calculating potential energy of charged particles?

The formula for calculating potential energy of charged particles is PE = qV, where PE is the potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the potential difference between the two points in the electric field.

Can potential energy of charged particles be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy of charged particles can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. This conversion occurs when the charged particle moves in the electric field, causing a change in its position and thus its potential energy.

How does the distance between charged particles affect their potential energy?

The potential energy between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance decreases, the potential energy increases, and vice versa. This is because the electric force between the particles becomes stronger as they get closer together.