Charged particles and cylindrical coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses a charged particle moving in a magnetic field along a path defined by cylindrical coordinates. The particle has a constant speed of 3.87 km/s and the question is about finding the z-component of its velocity, vz, in cylindrical coordinates. The conversation also mentions the need for equations and understanding of cylindrical coordinates.
Ry122
A charged particle in a magnetic field is spiralling along a path defined in cylindrical coordinates by r
= 1 m and θ = 2z rad (where z is in meters). The speed along the path is constant at 3.87 km/s. What is
the z-component of the velocity, vz, in cylindrical coordinates?

My attempt: I'm just needing someone to point me in the right direction as to what equations to use here, and how to make use of cylindrical coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
A charged particle in a magnetic field is spiralling along a path defined in cylindrical coordinates by r
= 1 m and θ = 2z rad (where z is in meters). The speed along the path is constant at 3.87 km/s. What is
the z-component of the velocity, vz, in cylindrical coordinates?

My attempt: I'm just needing someone to point me in the right direction as to what equations to use here, and how to make use of cylindrical coordinates.

What is the general expression for position in cylindrical coordinates? How about velocity?

Related to Charged particles and cylindrical coordinate system

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are atoms or molecules that have an imbalance of protons and electrons, resulting in a positive or negative electrical charge.

2. How do charged particles behave in an electric field?

In an electric field, charged particles will experience a force that is directly proportional to their charge and the strength of the electric field. Positive particles will move towards the direction of the electric field, while negative particles will move in the opposite direction.

3. What is a cylindrical coordinate system?

A cylindrical coordinate system is a mathematical coordinate system that uses a combination of distance from a central point, angle, and height to locate a point in three-dimensional space. It is particularly useful in describing circular and cylindrical objects.

4. How are charged particles described in a cylindrical coordinate system?

In a cylindrical coordinate system, the position of a charged particle is described by its distance from the central point (r), its angle (θ), and its height (z). The charge of the particle is also taken into account in the calculations.

5. What is the relationship between electric fields and cylindrical coordinate systems?

Electric fields can also be described using cylindrical coordinates, where the strength and direction of the field can be expressed in terms of the electric potential (V) and the angle (θ) from the central point. This allows for a more accurate description of the electric field around cylindrical objects.