Charge & Spin Ordering: Explained & Bond Lengths

• Thread starter marie2010
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between charge and spin ordering, particularly in relation to Holmium metal which exhibits a helicomagnetic behavior. The second question asks how bond lengths are affected by the charge of the central atom, with the explanation that higher charges typically result in shorter bonds. The conversation also touches on calculating ground state spins of odd-odd nuclei and clarifying the magnetic properties of Nb5+ and Nb4+. Ultimately, it is explained that Nb5+ is diamagnetic due to having all filled shells, while Nb4+ is paramagnetic due to having one leftover d-electron.
marie2010
hi,
Can someone explain to me the difference between charge and spin ordering? How are they different and how are they related? I am very confused.
Also, how are the bond lengths affected if an element is in 4+ as opposed to 5+ (e.g. Te4+ or Te5+ bonded to 6 oxygens). Are they shorter/longer, unequal distribution.
Can someone please comment.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe an example is helpful: E. g. Holmium metal is a helicomagnet. Although the charge density at each Holmium atom is equal, the spin of the electrons at different sites points in different directions. Specifically, when moving along some axis in the crystal the spin rotates tracing out a helix in space. So while charge order is homogeneous, the spin order is quite complex.
To the second question: Typically, the higher the charge of the central atom, the shorter the bonds (due to the increased Coulomb interaction). Whether the bond length become unequal depends on details in the bonding and cannot be answered generally. A common cause for unequal bond length is a Jahn Teller distortion.

how to calculate ground state spins of odd-odd nucleus in the nilsson diagrams

Thank you for replying. Can you please help me understand the following:
How come Nb5+ is d0 and diamagnetic, but Nb4+ is d1. I cannot see it.
Thanks in advance.

Niob is in the fifth secondary group in the periodic system, i.e. it has 5 valence electrons (3 d- electrons and 2 s electrons). In Nb(V) you removed all of them leaving only filled shells, hence it is diamagnetic. In Nb(IV) one d-electron is left. Hence it is paramagnetic.

Thank you. I got it now.

Related to Charge & Spin Ordering: Explained & Bond Lengths

What is charge ordering?

Charge ordering is a phenomenon in which electrons in a material organize themselves into a regular pattern, resulting in regions of positive and negative charge. This can occur in materials with strong electron-electron interactions, such as transition metal oxides.

What is spin ordering?

Spin ordering is similar to charge ordering, but instead refers to the organization of electron spins in a material. In this case, the spins align in a particular direction, resulting in regions of the material with different magnetic properties.

How is charge and spin ordering explained?

Charge and spin ordering are often explained using the concept of a "superlattice" - a periodic arrangement of charge or spin within the material. This superlattice can be thought of as a new, emergent property of the material that arises from the interactions between the electrons.

What factors influence charge and spin ordering?

The strength of the electron-electron interactions, the geometry of the material, and the temperature are all important factors that can influence the occurrence and stability of charge and spin ordering in a material.

What is the relationship between charge and spin ordering and bond lengths?

In materials with charge and spin ordering, the bond lengths between atoms can change as a result of the ordering. This is because the organization of charge and spin can affect the forces between atoms, leading to a distortion of the lattice structure and changes in bond lengths.