Charge on cylindrical capacitor

In summary, a cylindrical air capacitor with a length of 12.2 m stores an energy of 3.00E-8 J at a potential difference of 4 V. Using the equation U=1/2Q*V, the magnitude of charge on each conductor is calculated to be equal to the given energy value.
esmmajor

Homework Statement

A cylindrical air capacitor with a length of 12.2 m stores an amount of energy equal to 3.00E-8 J when the potential difference between the conductors is 4 V. Calculate the magnitude of the charge on each conductor.

Homework Equations

V=(lambda)/(2*pi*epsilon_0)*ln(r_0)/(r)

energy density=1/2*epsilon_0*E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the energy, length, and potential. I'm not given either the charge on the cylinder or the ratio of the radii of the inner/outer conductors, both of which are necessary in the formula. I suspect the additional information needs to come from the equation involving the energy, some new input from knowing the electric field. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the dimensions of the capacitor. What relations do you know about the energy stored in a capacitor?

U=1/2Q*V gives me a charge. but I need the magnitude of charge on each conductor. Is this the correct value?

yes it is. thank you :) was overthinking it.

Related to Charge on cylindrical capacitor

1. What is a cylindrical capacitor?

A cylindrical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two concentric cylindrical conductors separated by an insulating material, or dielectric. It is used to store electrical energy and can be found in various electronic devices.

2. How is the charge on a cylindrical capacitor calculated?

The charge on a cylindrical capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance of the capacitor (C) by the potential difference (V) between the two conductors. This can be represented by the equation Q = CV.

3. What factors affect the charge on a cylindrical capacitor?

The charge on a cylindrical capacitor is affected by the distance between the two conductors, the type of dielectric material used, and the potential difference applied. Additionally, the shape and size of the conductors can also affect the charge.

4. How does the charge on a cylindrical capacitor change with time?

The charge on a cylindrical capacitor can change with time if a time-varying potential difference is applied. In this case, the charge will increase or decrease depending on the frequency and magnitude of the potential difference.

5. What is the unit of charge on a cylindrical capacitor?

The unit of charge on a cylindrical capacitor is coulomb (C). It is a fundamental unit of charge in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.