Charge moving in elliptical orbit under Coulomb field.

In summary, when a charge -q is moving around a charge +Q in an elliptical orbit under the influence of the coulomb field, the correct statement(s) are that the angular momentum of the charge -q is constant and there is no torque on the charge, resulting in a constant angular velocity. The linear momentum and linear speed of the charge -q are not constant in this scenario.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Under the influence of the coulomb field of charge +Q, a charge −q is moving around it in an elliptical
orbit. Find out the correct statement(s).
(A) The angular momentum of the charge −q is constant
(B) The linear momentum of the charge −q is constant
(C) The angular velocity of the charge −q is constant
(D) The linear speed of the charge −q is constant

I am blank at this one. I don't know how to find either one, especially since this is elliptical orbit.

All I know is that since it is elliptical orbit, speed is not constant, so is velocity and thus, linear momentum. Now I am confused between what is constant, angular velocity or angular momentum.

I tried balancing electrostatic force with centrifugal force at any arbitrary point, but so far, I didn't got any satisfactory conclusions from my efforts.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no torque on the charge then its angular momentum is constant.

Oh! Thanks.

Related to Charge moving in elliptical orbit under Coulomb field.

1. How does the Coulomb field affect the motion of a charged particle in an elliptical orbit?

The Coulomb field, also known as the electric field, exerts a force on a charged particle that causes it to accelerate and change its direction. In an elliptical orbit, the Coulomb field will cause the charged particle to move in a curved path, with the strength of the field determining the shape and size of the orbit.

2. What factors influence the speed of a charged particle in an elliptical orbit under a Coulomb field?

The speed of a charged particle in an elliptical orbit is influenced by two main factors: the strength of the Coulomb field and the distance between the charged particle and the source of the field. The stronger the field, the faster the charged particle will move. Additionally, the closer the particle is to the source of the field, the faster it will move.

3. How does the direction of the Coulomb field affect the orientation of the elliptical orbit?

The direction of the Coulomb field has a significant impact on the orientation of the elliptical orbit. If the field is directed towards the center of the ellipse, the orbit will be aligned with the major axis of the ellipse. However, if the field is directed at an angle, the orbit will be tilted accordingly.

4. Can a charged particle in an elliptical orbit under a Coulomb field change its orbit?

Yes, a charged particle in an elliptical orbit can change its orbit under the influence of a Coulomb field. If the strength of the field changes, the orbit will also change, becoming more circular or more elongated. Additionally, if the charged particle interacts with other particles or objects, it may be pulled out of its original orbit.

5. What is the significance of studying charge moving in an elliptical orbit under a Coulomb field?

Studying charge moving in an elliptical orbit under a Coulomb field is important for understanding the behavior of charged particles in various physical systems. This knowledge can be applied to fields such as astrophysics, where charged particles in elliptical orbits play a crucial role in the formation and dynamics of celestial bodies. Additionally, it allows us to better understand and manipulate charged particles in technological applications, such as in particle accelerators.