Charge distribution, quadrupole

In summary, if a charge distribution has cylindrical symmetry, the value of Qzz can be used to determine the entire quadrupole moment matrix. The equation Tr Q=0 is also relevant, where Qxx+Qyy+Qzz=0 due to the cylindrical symmetry. Additionally, the charge density varies with ρ, which is equal to (x^2+y^2)^1/2. Finally, with all the values for the quadrupole matrix calculated, the remaining step is to find the value of Qzz.
Josephk1508

Homework Statement

Show that, if a charge distribution  has cylindrical symmetry, then knowing the value
of Qzz allows you to determine the entire quadrupole moment matrix.

Homework Equations

Tr Q=0, ie Qxx+Qyy+Qzz=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the cylindrical symmetry, the charge density changes as a function of ρ, where ρ=(x^2+y^2)^1/2. Then I don't really know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have now worked out all values for the quadrupole matrix, I just need to calculate what Qzz is. If anyone can help that would be really useful. Also I realized I made a mistake above, cylinrical symmetry means that it is dependent only z only.

Related to Charge distribution, quadrupole

What is charge distribution?

Charge distribution refers to the arrangement of electric charges within a system or object. It describes the spatial distribution of positive and negative charges, as well as the overall net charge of the system.

What is a quadrupole?

A quadrupole is a type of charge distribution where two pairs of equal and opposite charges are separated by a distance. This creates a four-pole structure, with two positive charges and two negative charges arranged in an alternating pattern.

How is quadrupole moment calculated?

The quadrupole moment is a measure of the strength of a quadrupole and is calculated by multiplying the charge of each pole by the distance between them and then summing these products. It can also be represented mathematically as a tensor.

What are the applications of quadrupole moments?

Quadrupole moments have various applications in physics and chemistry, including in nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and calculating the shape of molecules. They are also used in particle accelerators and in astronomy to study the distribution of mass in celestial bodies.

What is the difference between a dipole and a quadrupole?

A dipole has two poles (positive and negative) while a quadrupole has four poles (two positive and two negative). In terms of charge distribution, a dipole has a net charge of zero while a quadrupole can have a nonzero net charge. Additionally, the electric field of a dipole decreases at a slower rate with distance compared to a quadrupole.