Charge Conservation in Particle Collisions

In summary, the reactions p+p->p+p+e-+e+ and p+p->p+n+e++nue are both with a high probability, while the other reactions are less likely.
chatsash
I did a quick search through the forums and didn't find the answers I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask. Does charge conservation still apply for collisions between elementary particles? I'm taking a second year foundations of physics course, and we were given a fairly simple looking reaction in lecture: (hopefully I can get tex to work this time)

$$
p \rightarrow n + \mu^{-} + \bar{\nu}_\mu
$$

and told that this decay is possible since baryon number and lepton number are conserved. Now as far as I can tell, this violates conservation of charge. Am I missing something, or did my prof goof when making the example?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
chatsash said:
I did a quick search through the forums and didn't find the answers I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask. Does charge conservation still apply for collisions between elementary particles? I'm taking a second year foundations of physics course, and we were given a fairly simple looking reaction in lecture: (hopefully I can get tex to work this time)

$$
p \rightarrow n + \mu^{-} + \bar{\nu}_\mu
$$

and told that this decay is possible since baryon number and lepton number are conserved. Now as far as I can tell, this violates conservation of charge. Am I missing something, or did my prof goof when making the example?

Thanks!
Charge conservation absolutely applies to elementary particle collisions. I reckon your prof just made a mistake. If you change that muon to an antimuon, and the muon anti-neutrino to a muon neutrino, it'd be ok.

Since neutrons are 0.14% heavier than protons, and muons have about 11% the mass of protons, this decay violates the conservation of energy, too

The correct ##\beta##-decay formula is
$$n \rightarrow p + e^- + \overline{\nu_e}.$$
Proton decay is impossible due to to energy conservation, because the proton mass is a bit smaller than the neutron mass.

Electric charge must be always conserved, because otherwise the so far very successful standard model of elementare particle physics wouldn't make any sense anymore, because charge-non conservation would violate the fundamental electromagnetic gauge symmetry.

vanhees71 said:
The correct ##\beta##-decay formula is
$$n \rightarrow p + e^- + \overline{\nu_e}.$$
Proton decay is impossible due to to energy conservation, because the proton mass is a bit smaller than the neutron mass.

You're allowed to have ##\beta##-plus decay, inside a nucleus, of course.

$$p \rightarrow n + e^+ + \nu_e$$

(Though it's better to write ##^A_Z X \rightarrow ^{A} _{Z-1} X' + e^+ + \nu_e##)

or it's better to write:
[itex]p (+N) \rightarrow n + e^+ +\nu_e (+N)[/itex]
where [itex]N[/itex] stands for nucleon and tells you that this process is possible within an environment of nuclei.

As for the energy violation, it doesn't apply for the case of a decaying proton to neutron, since you already consider this process in a nucleus environment. It wouldn't be the same for:
[itex]n \rightarrow p + \mu^- + \bar{\nu}_\mu[/itex]
for free-neutrons, since this would violate the energy conservation.

I just want to say I'm pretty sure there doesn't exist a Z→Z±1 nuclear transition with enough energy to produce a muon (106 MeV).

chatsash said:
Does charge conservation still apply for collisions between elementary particles?
Every macroscopic conservation law (apart from statistical properties) has to apply on a fundamental level as well, otherwise there would be a way to violate it.
Yes, charge is conserved in particle physics.

dukwon said:
I just want to say I'm pretty sure there doesn't exist a Z→Z±1 nuclear transition with enough energy to produce a muon (106 MeV).
I'm sure you're right.

Charge conservation is obeyed in collisions, but while energy is conserved, the energy can be supplied by kinetic energy of colliding particles.

What can come from proton-proton collisions?
Reaction
p+p->d+e++nue
would produce energy, but has never been observed.
Reaction
p+p->p+p+hnu
loses energy - yet it is standard braking radiation.
But how likely are the following reactions:
p+p->p+p+e-+e+?
p+p->p+n+e++nue?
p+p->p+n+mu++numu?
p+p->d+mu++numu?

However you can still have:
[itex] \nu_\mu p \rightarrow n \mu[/itex].

snorkack said:
Reaction
p+p->d+e++nue
would produce energy, but has never been observed.
Indirectly, the sun relies on that reaction and the neutrinos from the reaction have been detected recently.

pp -> ppee looks like a reaction with reasonable probability, I'm sure there is some old paper discussing it. The other reactions all need weak production modes, I guess they are quite unlikely (and might be hard to detect as well).

Related to Charge Conservation in Particle Collisions

1. What is charge conservation in particle collisions?

Charge conservation in particle collisions refers to the principle that the total electric charge before and after a collision remains constant. In other words, the total amount of positive and negative charge must be the same before and after the collision.

2. Why is charge conservation important in particle collisions?

Charge conservation is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that applies to all interactions between particles. It helps to explain and predict the behavior of particles in collisions and is crucial in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

3. How is charge conserved in particle collisions?

Charge is conserved in particle collisions through a process called charge conservation. This means that when two particles collide, the total charge of the particles before the collision must equal the total charge of the particles after the collision. This can be achieved through the exchange of particles or through the creation or annihilation of particles.

4. What happens if charge is not conserved in a particle collision?

If charge is not conserved in a particle collision, it would suggest a violation of the fundamental law of charge conservation. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of nature and would require further investigation and experimentation to understand the cause of this violation.

5. Are there any exceptions to charge conservation in particle collisions?

There are no known exceptions to charge conservation in particle collisions. This principle has been extensively tested and confirmed by experiments, and any potential deviations would require further research and evidence to be validated.