Charge Battery w/ Universal AC Adapter: Tips & Advice

In summary: The batteries are in series, so the inverter would need to provide at least two outputs to power both batteries.
jaguar7
I have a battery. I can go get a screwdriver from the garage and open it to see the specs on it, but was for an electric bike. I don't have the AC adapter charger any more. Can I charge it with a universal AC adapter I have, just wired together? The AC adapter has two holes in the tip, and I was able to determine which hole was positive and which was negative by using a voltmeter. The universal AC adapter is variable voltage with several settings from about 2V to 12V. The old AC adapter charger for this battery output 24V. I'll go open this battery up and see the specs on it. I would really like to charge it.

Also, (this is secondary), I'd like to attach my inverter for my car to this battery. Any tips or advice?

Edit:
Okay, I opened up the case of the battery and it's two 12 volt lead-acid rechargeable batteries in series, which would effectively be 24V (I think - it is 24V maybe I meant parallel).

And thanks Jehan, that is what I'm looking for. Now if I can just connect it to my inverter I have for my car..

And if anyone else has any more tips, advice, or direction, please feel more than welcome. The more knowledge that I can get, the better.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.valleyradioclub.org/Misc%20PDF%20Files/Lost-Your-Charger-How-to-Charge-any-Battery-Survi.pdf
should get you on the right track

Okay, I'm wondering what is the max safe amperage I can trickle charge this battery with? Again it's two 12V lead acid batteries in parallel.

Do the batteries have an ampere-hour rating printed on their label? If not, hop online and do some browsing to find similar looking electric cycle battery and tell us what its ampere-hour rating is.

If the combo is 24V then the two batteries are in series.

If all else fails, charge at 0.2A and record the voltage every few hours to gauge how the charging is progressing. If this is an old battery, it's possible that the condition of at least one of the pair inside might have deteriorated to make that one unusable. Can you monitor the voltage across each as you charge them in series? Pb-acid cells can have a relatively short useful life, anyway.

jaguar7 said:
Also, (this is secondary), I'd like to attach my inverter for my car to this battery. Any tips or advice?
What do you power from the inverter?

Related to Charge Battery w/ Universal AC Adapter: Tips & Advice

1. How do I know if my battery is compatible with a universal AC adapter?

You should check the voltage and amperage requirements of your battery and compare them to the specifications of the universal AC adapter. Make sure that the voltage and polarity are the same and that the amperage of the adapter is equal to or higher than the battery's requirements.

2. Can I overcharge my battery using a universal AC adapter?

It depends on the type of battery you are using. Some batteries have built-in protection against overcharging, while others do not. It is important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the adapter once the battery is fully charged to avoid overcharging.

3. How long does it take to charge a battery with a universal AC adapter?

The charging time will vary depending on the capacity of the battery and the amperage of the adapter. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-6 hours to fully charge a battery with a universal AC adapter.

4. Can I use a universal AC adapter to charge multiple batteries at the same time?

Yes, as long as the adapter has enough power to supply all the batteries with the required voltage and amperage. However, it is recommended to charge one battery at a time to ensure proper and efficient charging.

5. Is it safe to leave my battery charging overnight with a universal AC adapter?

It is generally not recommended to leave any battery charging unattended, especially overnight. It is important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the adapter once the battery is fully charged to avoid any potential safety hazards.