Characterizations of the Orthogonal Groups _ Tapp, Ch. 3, Section 2

In summary, the conversation is about understanding Proposition 3.10 in Section 2 of Chapter 3 in Kristopher Tapp's book "Matrix Groups for Undergraduates". The focus is on understanding the relationship between U(n) and its image under the linear transformation \rho_n. The conversation includes a discussion on injectivity and surjectivity of \rho_n, as well as the use of the first isomorphism theorem for groups.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Kristopher Tapp's book: Matrix Groups for Undergraduates.

I am currently focussed on and studying Section 2 in Chapter 3, namely:

"2. Several Characterizations of the Orthogonal Groups".

I need help in fully understanding some important remarks following Proposition 3.10.

Section 2 in Ch. 3, including Proposition 3.10 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3996
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3997

Near to the bottom of the above text, after the statement of Proposition 3.10, we read:" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle U(n)\) is isomorphic to its image, \(\displaystyle \rho_n ( U(n) )\), ... ... "My question is how do we know that \(\displaystyle U(n)\) is isomorphic to its image, \(\displaystyle \rho_n ( U_n) )\) ... ... indeed, further ... how do we rigorously prove that \(\displaystyle U(n)\) is isomorphic to its image, \(\displaystyle \rho_n ( U(n) )\)?I note in passing that Proposition 2.2 on page 25 of Tapp's book (see below for details) proves that \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) is a linear transformation ... and I also note that intuitively \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) would seem to be injective (but how on Earth do we prove it?) ... but I have no idea of how to prove the surjectivity of \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) in the case of \(\displaystyle U(n) \)... ... I hope someone can help ...

Peter
***NOTE***

Tapp introduces \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) in Section 1 of Ch. 2 (pages 24-25) ... so I am providing these pages as follows:View attachment 3998
View attachment 3999

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

In my first replie in post
http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/rotations-complex-matrices-real-matrices-proof-tapp-proposition-2-2-a-14380.html

I told you it was easy to check that $\rho_{n}$ was injective but NOT SURJECTIVE, reflect on it taking $\rho_{1}$ as an example.

What you have in Proposition 2.2 is that $\rho_{n}:\mathcal{M}_{n}(\Bbb{C})\longrightarrow \mathcal{M}_{2n}\Bbb{R}$ is a ring homomorphism, so we can apply first isomorphis theorem, which says that
$\begin{array}{cccc}\bar{\rho_{n}}:&\mathcal{M}_{n}(\Bbb{C})/Ker(\rho_{n}) &\longrightarrow& Im(\rho_{n})\\
& A+Ker(\rho_{n}) & \mapsto & \rho_{n}(A) \end{array}$

Is a ring isomorphism, but we know that $\rho_{n}$ is injective, so $Ker(\rho_{n})=\{0\}$

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

In my first replie in post
http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/rotations-complex-matrices-real-matrices-proof-tapp-proposition-2-2-a-14380.html

I told you it was easy to check that $\rho_{n}$ was injective but NOT SURJECTIVE, reflect on it taking $\rho_{1}$ as an example.

What you have in Proposition 2.2 is that $\rho_{n}:\mathcal{M}_{n}(\Bbb{C})\longrightarrow \mathcal{M}_{2n}\Bbb{R}$ is a ring homomorphism, so we can apply first isomorphis theorem, which says that
$\begin{array}{cccc}\bar{\rho_{n}}:&\mathcal{M}_{n}(\Bbb{C})/Ker(\rho_{n}) &\longrightarrow& Im(\rho_{n})\\
& A+Ker(\rho_{n}) & \mapsto & \rho_{n}(A) \end{array}$

Is a ring isomorphism, but we know that $\rho_{n}$ is injective, so $Ker(\rho_{n})=\{0\}$
Hi Fallen Angel,

Thanks for the post ...

MY APOLOGIES! I made what was essentially a typo in my post ... I meant "injective" ... but for some strange reason that I cannot explain (mind you it is late here in Tasmania ... ), I typed "surjective" ... ...

I have now edited my post ...

Again ... sorry about the error ... now reflecting on \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) as a ring homomorphism ... ...

Thanks for your help ...

Peter

Peter said:
Hi Fallen Angel,

Thanks for the post ...

MY APOLOGIES! I made what was essentially a typo in my post ... I meant "injective" ... but for some strange reason that I cannot explain (mind you it is late here in Tasmania ... ), I typed "surjective" ... ...

I have now edited my post ...

Again ... sorry about the error ... now reflecting on \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) as a ring homomorphism ... ...

Thanks for your help ...

Peter
Thanks for the help in showing that \(\displaystyle \overline{ \rho}_n\) is an isomorphism ... allows me to move on through Tapp's textbook with more confidence ...

Appreciate your help!

Peter***EDIT***

Alternatively ... Presumably we could have used the First Isomorphism Theorem for Groups ... ... is that correct?

Peter

Last edited:

Related to Characterizations of the Orthogonal Groups _ Tapp, Ch. 3, Section 2

1. What is the purpose of studying the orthogonal groups?

The orthogonal groups are important mathematical objects that have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. By understanding their properties and characterizations, we can better understand and solve complex problems in these areas.

2. What are the defining properties of orthogonal groups?

The defining properties of orthogonal groups include being a group of linear transformations that preserve the dot product, being a subgroup of the general linear group, and having a determinant of either 1 or -1.

3. How are the orthogonal groups represented mathematically?

The orthogonal groups are often represented as matrices, with the elements of the matrix representing the coefficients of the linear transformation. They can also be represented using other mathematical structures such as Lie algebras.

4. What is the significance of the matrix representations of orthogonal groups?

The matrix representations of orthogonal groups allow us to easily perform calculations and transformations using linear algebra techniques. They also provide a visual representation of the group's properties and can aid in understanding its structure.

5. Are there real-world applications of orthogonal groups?

Yes, orthogonal groups have many real-world applications. For example, in physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, while in computer graphics, they are used to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects. They also have applications in signal processing, cryptography, and more.