Characteristics of a Potential Well that is Proportional to -1/|x|

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential well proportional to -1/|x| and whether the amount of possible energy levels in the well is finite or infinite. The well resembles a tornado, with the middle being narrow and approaching a horizontal asymptote as you move away from it. The speaker initially believed that the amount of energy levels would be infinite due to the increasing width of the well, but the professor pointed out a flaw in their reasoning. The speaker then asks if the energy levels get closer together as they approach the asymptote and if this potential can be used to describe the hydrogen atom. It is clarified that this potential is suitable for the hydrogen atom in three dimensions, with some differences in the solutions. As the energy levels increase,
WoahWoah
Regarding a potential well that is proportional to -1/|x|, are the amount of possible energy levels finite or infinite? (The potential well is narrow in the middle and approaches a horizontal asymptote as you leave the middle, like the shape of a tornado).

I figured it would be infinite, because the well gets infinitely wide before the horizontal asymptote so that energy levels of any "length" could fit between the walls. But It doesn't really make sense if there's a finite max potential energy (~horizontal asymptote) and the professor said there was a flaw in my reasoning.

I thought about it for a while and couldn't seem to find the explanation.

Lastly, two quick questions: is it correct to say that as you approach the horizontal asymptote, the energy levels get infinitely close together? I'm guessing it's wrong because that implies an infinite amount of energy levels. And can the -1/|x| potential well be used to describe the hydrogen atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
This potential describes the hydrogen atom perfectly well, but of course in three dimensions, so it should read |r|, not |x|. Every book of lectures on QM discusses this in detail.

You are describing a one-dimensional hydrogen atom, which is a useful model system in some applications, as far as I know. The properties of the solutions (eigenfunctions/values) differ from the 3D case. See http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0608/0608038.pdf .

The spacing between energy levels really gets arbitrarily small as one goes to higher and higher excited states. Also, the total energy of the system is NOT bounded from above, there exists a continuous spectrum of unbound scattering states above the discrete set of bound states.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm completely lost when it comes to physics, so my understanding now is that the spacing between energy levels get smaller until a point where the electron ionizes. I'm guessing that point is at 13.6eV? Sorry if I still don't understand, does this mean that although there are an infinite amount of bound states, there is still a max energy level (13.6eV)? And above that max energy level, there is an infinite amount of unbounded states?

I think this picture may be helpful:

image24827.gif

The continuum of free states is the range E ≥ 0.
The discrete bound states are in the range E < 0.
Ionization means to bring an electron from E < 0 to E > 0.
The ground state has an energy of E = -13.6 eV.

Related to Characteristics of a Potential Well that is Proportional to -1/|x|

1. What is a potential well?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle or system is lower than its surroundings. This creates a stable region where particles are more likely to be found.

2. What is the significance of a potential well being proportional to -1/|x|?

A potential well that is proportional to -1/|x| means that the strength of the potential decreases as the distance from the center of the well increases. This type of potential well is commonly found in inverse square laws, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

3. How does the depth of a potential well affect particle behavior?

The depth of a potential well determines the stability of particles within it. A deeper potential well will trap particles more strongly, making it harder for them to escape. In contrast, a shallower potential well will allow particles to escape more easily.

4. Can a potential well be created artificially?

Yes, potential wells can be created artificially using electric or magnetic fields. This is commonly done in particle accelerators to trap and manipulate particles for experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of potential wells?

Potential wells have a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in semiconductor devices, such as transistors and diodes, to control the flow of electrons. They are also utilized in energy storage systems, such as batteries and fuel cells, to store energy in a stable state. Additionally, potential wells are used in quantum computing to store and manipulate quantum bits, or qubits, which are the building blocks of quantum computers.