Changing Orbit Angle for 3D Atom Model | Simple Question for Math Pros

• Thread starter ducati321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Orbit
This will make your electron traverse the nucleus diagonally. In summary, to change the angle of orbit for a 3D model of an atom in silverlight, you need to modify the yCenter value in the equation used for the electron's orbit.
ducati321
"simple" 3d orbit question

Hi folks,
I am following this pattern:
http://www.bit-101.com/tutorials/3D-rotation.html

to build a 3d model of an atom, using silverlight. I have what i think is an easy question for math pros... I'd like to know what I can change to make the angle of the orbiting item (my electron) be different.

In other words, my electron is currently orbiting in a horizontal left-to-right pattern. what can I do to get it to a 45 or 30 or N degrees angle, so it's traversing my nucleus diagonally?

the blue dot is my electron orbiting the yellow nucleus...
2 pics below show it going from left to right, it's centerY is constant...

here is my math:
newx = Math.Cos(t * Math.PI / 180) * radius + xCenter;
newy = yCenter; //-- y is constant cause it's horizontal

newz = Math.Sin(t * Math.PI / 180) * radius + zCenter;
scale1 = fl / (fl + newz);

electron1.Width = electron1.Height = scale1 * 100;

Thanks folks!
4i2cn.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
To change the angle of the orbit, you need to change the yCenter value in your equation. For example, if you want a 45 degree angle, you can set yCenter to: yCenter = Math.Sin(45 * Math.PI / 180) * radius + zCenter;

Related to Changing Orbit Angle for 3D Atom Model | Simple Question for Math Pros

1. What is a simple 3d orbit question?

A simple 3d orbit question refers to a question about the movement of an object in three-dimensional space, typically in relation to another object or a central point of reference.

2. How is a simple 3d orbit question different from a 2d orbit question?

A 3d orbit question involves the movement of an object in three dimensions, whereas a 2d orbit question only considers movement in two dimensions. This means that a 3d orbit question takes into account the depth or height of an object's orbit, in addition to its horizontal movement.

3. What factors influence the path of a 3d orbit?

The path of a 3d orbit is influenced by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the orbiting object, the gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting, and any external forces acting upon the object such as air resistance or other gravitational pulls.

4. Can a 3d orbit change over time?

Yes, a 3d orbit can change over time. This is due to the changing influence of external forces and adjustments in the velocity or direction of the orbiting object.

5. How is a simple 3d orbit question relevant to science?

Understanding the principles of 3d orbits is crucial in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. It allows us to study and predict the movement of objects in space, as well as design and control spacecraft and satellites.

Back