Changing motor speed with external magnets

In summary: This is a deceptive demonstration. He does not explain what he is doing or how it works. There is no real effect shown other than a faster speed which is achievable with little effort.
naeem shaik
In the below video it is shown that rpm is increasing by using external magnetic field . can i know on which principle it is based on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you weaken the field of a DC motor, it has to spin faster to generate the back emf to oppose the applied voltage. Here, it seems he is using external permanent magnets to oppose or cancel some of the manufacturer's designed field, thereby forcing the motor to spin faster. The motor is running under no load, so it's not doing a whole lot of useful work besides overcoming bearing friction and windage, etc., though suffering shortened life because the bearings are not appropriate for this out-of-spec operation.

An interesting demonstration, but nothing exciting.

Likes Averagesupernova
He is trying to imply that he increased the energy output of the motor with less energy input, when in reality he decreased it.
If he had loaded the motor, with a significant load that slowed it below its no load rpm, then it would have performed poorly.
It is a very deceptive, almost fraudulent demonstration (since he didn't explain what he actually did and its real effects). Here is a PF thread that address the effects of external magnets on PMDC motors.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/external-magnets-to-pmdc-motor.851333/

I see nothing deceptive here. The video shows how an improvisation can increase the speed of an unloaded motor. It would be a useful demo for electric motors classes, IMO.

I'd recommend the technique only in a pinch, as over time it's likely that the external magnets are going to weaken the motor's permanent magnets. If you need a higher speed motor, buy one designed for what you need.

He calls it a "stargate" effect and implies he is getting something for nothing. I think he actually says that. And, he does not explain he is increasing the no load speed at the expense of the motor's power capability. He says nothing about weakening the effective stator magnets.

If it actually explained what was going on and why, then I would agree. But he is deceptive about what he is doing and intentionally misleads. Of course it would be a good experiment for a motors class since it is demonstrating a real effect. But the OP had to ask what was going on. It was not done to be educational.

meBigGuy said:
He calls it a "stargate" effect and implies he is getting something for nothing.
Stargate means nothing to me; but if it has implications then I can see some people jumping to conclusions.

He says nothing about weakening the effective stator magnets.
He explains what the external magnets are doing on the video I viewed.

If it actually explained what was going on and why, then I would agree.
Many youtube videos demonstrate something without explaining principles behind it, probably to garner interest. It's often the case on youtube of here's a video I made, you go figure it out. The "Mythbusters" series took it upon themselves to confirm or debunk some of the more perplexing.

When you produce your meBigGuy series of educational videos we'll know to have very high expectations!

In summary, the video demonstrates standard DC machine characteristic. It is predictable and well-understood physics. There is nothing original here, and no magic.

Thread closed.

Likes CWatters
NascentOxygen said:
Stargate means nothing to me; but if it has implications then I can see some people jumping to conclusions.

"Stargate" was a sci-fi movie that later spawned a number of TV shows. As far as I remember the "gates" actually consisted of large rotating discs that opened up portals to other solar systems (etc) .
So yes, calling something a "Stargate motor" will definitely raise a few eyebrows.

Related to Changing motor speed with external magnets

What is the concept behind changing motor speed with external magnets?

The concept is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where an external magnetic field is used to induce a change in the speed of a motor. This is achieved by altering the strength and direction of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the motor's rotation.

What are the advantages of using external magnets to change motor speed?

One advantage is that it allows for precise control of motor speed, as the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be adjusted. It also eliminates the need for complex and bulky mechanical speed control systems, making it a more compact and efficient solution.

Can any motor be used with external magnets to change its speed?

No, not all motors are compatible with this method. The motor must have a rotor that can be affected by an external magnetic field, such as a permanent magnet or a conductive rotor. This is typically found in brushless DC motors or induction motors.

Are there any limitations to using external magnets to change motor speed?

One limitation is that the range of speed control may be limited, as it depends on the strength and direction of the external magnetic field. Also, the motor must be designed to handle the increased load caused by the magnetic field, as it may affect its overall performance and lifespan.

What are some real-world applications of changing motor speed with external magnets?

This method is commonly used in various industries, such as HVAC systems, electric vehicles, and robotics. It can also be used in household appliances, such as fans and blenders, for speed control.