Changing distribution when going through a potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of an external force on a system of atoms in thermal equilibrium. While gravity may not necessarily take the system out of equilibrium, there are cases where the external interaction can lead to a steady state instead of an equilibrium condition. In these cases, the specifics of the system must be considered, such as in laser cooling where different temperatures in different directions can result in non-Gaussian distributions. The conversation also touches on the possibilities of adopting or transforming the initial distribution function and considering the larger system's distribution if locally it can be described by a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.
TheCanadian
If we had a a sample of atoms in thermal equilibrium at a temperature, T, it would approximately follow a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and be isotropic. But if we now subject these atoms to a force in one direction (e.g. gravity, perhaps near a dense object), it will take the system out of equilibrium. But is there a (simple) way to now continue considering the distribution function for these atoms subject to this force? Can the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution be adopted in form to one where the atoms are anisotropic with net velocity/acceleration in a particular direction? Or are there no well-defined distributions in such a case of being out equilibrium, and the characteristics of the sample would have to be considered at the level of each atom?

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
@Chestermiller has much more experience on this subject than I do, but here is my understanding.

First, you say that an external force will take the system out of equilibrium. This is not necessarily the case, and gravity is a good example here. You can still consider that air is locally at equilibrium, even though you have density and temperature gradients on large scales.

There are some cases where the external interaction will lead to a steady state instead of an equilibrium condition. In that case, you need to consider the specifics of the system. For instance, I know of cases in laser cooling where you get different temperatures in different directions (e.g., following a mostly Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution along and perpendicular to the laser axis, but with different temperatures) to distributions that are non-Gaussian (look up, for instance, Lévy statistics).

DrClaude said:
@Chestermiller has much more experience on this subject than I do, but here is my understanding.

First, you say that an external force will take the system out of equilibrium. This is not necessarily the case, and gravity is a good example here. You can still consider that air is locally at equilibrium, even though you have density and temperature gradients on large scales.

There are some cases where the external interaction will lead to a steady state instead of an equilibrium condition. In that case, you need to consider the specifics of the system. For instance, I know of cases in laser cooling where you get different temperatures in different directions (e.g., following a mostly Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution along and perpendicular to the laser axis, but with different temperatures) to distributions that are non-Gaussian (look up, for instance, Lévy statistics).
I agree with everything in your 2nd paragraph regarding static equilibrium. I'm not familiar with how the velocity distribution is perturbed when there is flow, although the statical thermodynamics of this has been studied in deriving the viscosity of gases under flow conditions.

Interesting, thank you for those examples of external interactions resulting in a steady state.

DrClaude said:

Well if the force was large enough that it would be out of equilibrium even at lower scale (e.g. a volume of gas at equilibrium at a temperature ##T_i## now placed a short distance, ##r##, from a small spherical mass of ##10^{30}## kg, how could one adopt/transform the initial distribution function?

I am also curious about how this system with regions in local equilibrium could allow one to consider the larger system. For example, what would the larger system's distribution be if locally it can be described by a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

Related to Changing distribution when going through a potential

1. How does a potential affect the distribution of particles?

A potential can change the distribution of particles by altering their energy levels and causing them to move in different directions. This can lead to a redistribution of particles throughout the system.

2. What is the relationship between potential and particle distribution?

The relationship between potential and particle distribution is that changes in potential can cause changes in the distribution of particles. A potential can attract or repel particles, causing them to move towards or away from certain areas, leading to a different distribution pattern.

3. Can a potential change the direction of particle movement?

Yes, a potential can change the direction of particle movement. This is because the potential can create a force that acts on the particles, causing them to move in a different direction than they were previously moving.

4. How do different types of potentials affect particle distribution?

Different types of potentials can have varying effects on particle distribution. For example, a gravitational potential can cause particles to clump together, while an electric potential can cause particles to repel each other.

5. Can particle distribution be controlled by manipulating the potential?

Yes, particle distribution can be controlled by manipulating the potential. By changing the strength or type of potential, scientists can influence the movement and distribution of particles in a system, allowing for control over the overall distribution pattern.