Change of basis matrix(linear algebra)

In summary, the homework statement is to compute the change of basis matrix that takes the basis of R2 to the basis of {W1, W2}. First, the change of basis matrix is found and then the column vector that represents v with respect to the basis is determined. It is easy to check if the matrix is correct by multiplying the coefficients of v1, v2 by the column vector and checking if the result is equal to the vector v. If the matrix is correct, then all you have to do is to find the coefficients a, b of the linear combination that represents v with respect to the {W1, W2} basis.
leeewl
Hi I'm stuck on this problem and I could not find similar examples anywhere.. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Homework Statement

Compute the change of basis matrix that takes the basis
[itex]V1 = \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] [itex]V2 = \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
of R2 to the basis
[itex]W1 = \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] [itex]W2 = \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
I have done this first part, the change of basis matrix is [itex]A = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

next part I don't quite know how to start:
Consider v = V1 + 2(V2) [itex]\in[/itex] R2: Determine the column vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \end{bmatrix}[/itex] which represents v with respect to the basis {W1, W2}

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I turn v1 into [itex]V1 = \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and V2 into [itex]V2 = \begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ 10 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and then try and find a linear combination that gives me {W1, W2}?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up the linear combination and make it equal to your vector in order to find the coefficients a, b.

leeewl said:
Hi I'm stuck on this problem and I could not find similar examples anywhere.. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Homework Statement

Compute the change of basis matrix that takes the basis
[itex]V1 = \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] [itex]V2 = \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
of R2 to the basis
[itex]W1 = \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] [itex]W2 = \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 7 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
I have done this first part, the change of basis matrix is [itex]A = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

next part I don't quite know how to start:
Consider v = V1 + 2(V2) [itex]\in[/itex] R2: Determine the column vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \end{bmatrix}[/itex] which represents v with respect to the basis {W1, W2}

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I turn v1 into [itex]V1 = \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and V2 into [itex]V2 = \begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ 10 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and then try and find a linear combination that gives me {W1, W2}?
The fact that [itex]\vec{v} = 1\vec{v}_1 + 2\vec{v}_2[/itex] means that with respect to the [itex]\{\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2\}[/itex] basis,
[tex]\vec{v} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}_{\{\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2\}}[/tex]Use the matrix A to convert the coordinates from one basis to the other.

By the way, I don't think your matrix A is correct.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I made a mistake in the op. [itex]V1 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and not (-1, 3) so my matrix A should be correct.
Is multiplying A by (coefficients of v1, v2) [itex]v = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} [/itex] all I really need to do to?
Then my answer is \begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ -1 \end{bmatrix}

It's easy enough to check. Is [itex]4\vec{w}_1-\vec{w}_2[/itex] equal to [itex]\vec{v}_1+2\vec{v}_2[/itex]?

If your matrix is correct, then yes, that's all you have to do. That's why it's called a change of basis matrix. :wink:

Related to Change of basis matrix(linear algebra)

1. What is a change of basis matrix in linear algebra?

A change of basis matrix is a transformation matrix that allows us to switch between different coordinate systems in linear algebra. It is used to represent the same vector or linear transformation in different bases.

2. Why do we need change of basis matrices?

Change of basis matrices are necessary because different coordinate systems can have different basis vectors, making it difficult to compare vectors or perform operations between them. By using change of basis matrices, we can easily convert between different coordinate systems and perform calculations.

3. How do you find the change of basis matrix?

To find the change of basis matrix, we first need to determine the basis vectors of the original coordinate system and the basis vectors of the new coordinate system. Then, we can arrange the basis vectors of the new coordinate system as columns in a matrix, and the basis vectors of the original coordinate system as rows. This matrix is the change of basis matrix.

4. Can a change of basis matrix be non-square?

No, a change of basis matrix must be square. This is because it represents a linear transformation from one vector space to another, and a linear transformation must have the same number of inputs and outputs.

5. How do change of basis matrices relate to eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Change of basis matrices can be used to find eigenvectors and eigenvalues in different coordinate systems. By transforming the original matrix into a new coordinate system using the change of basis matrix, we can find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the transformed matrix, which will be the same as the original matrix.