Change of Basis Matrix for R2: B1 to B2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the change of basis matrix from B1 to B2, with B1 and B2 being bases for R2. The solution involves using the matrix [B2|B1] and multiplying it by the basis vectors to convert the coordinates from B1 to B2. The questioner initially doubts their calculation of the change of basis matrix, but the responder explains why their answer is correct.
trojansc82

Homework Statement

B1 = {[1,2], [2,1]} is a basis for R2

B2 = {[1,-1], [3,2]} is a basis for R2

Find the change of basis matrix from B1 to B2

Homework Equations

[B2 | B1]

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason I can not solve this. I keep ending up with the matrix equaling

[-4/5 1/5
3/5 3/5]

Unfortunately this does not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me. Why do you think it doesn't work?

vela said:
That looks correct to me. Why do you think it doesn't work?

I know it looks correct, but when I multiply P by B1 I don't get the identity matrix.

That's because you shouldn't! That matrix takes the representation of a vector relative to B1 and gives you its representation relative to B2.

For example, take the vector [3,3]. In the B1 basis, its representation would be [1,1]1 since

[1,1]1 = (1)[1,2] + (1)[2,1] = [3,3].

In the B2 basis, its representation would be [-3/5, 6/5]2 since

[-3/5, 6/5]2 = (-3/5)[1,-1] + (6/5)[3,2] = [-3/5+18/5, 3/5+12/5] = [3,3]

If you multiply matrix P by [1,1], you'll find you get [-3/5, 6/5]. It converts the B1 coordinates into B2 coordinates.

So think about what multiplying P by [1,2] (the first vector in B1) represents. You should see there's absolutely no reason to think the answer should be [1,0]. Likewise, for the second vector [2,1], you wouldn't expect [0,1].

Related to Change of Basis Matrix for R2: B1 to B2

1. What is a change of basis matrix?

A change of basis matrix is a mathematical tool used to transform a vector's coordinates from one basis to another. It is a square matrix that allows for the representation of the same vector in different coordinate systems.

2. How is a change of basis matrix calculated?

A change of basis matrix is calculated by arranging the basis vectors of the new coordinate system as columns in a matrix, and then finding the coefficients of the original basis vectors in terms of the new basis vectors. This matrix is then multiplied by the original vector to obtain the coordinates in the new basis.

3. Why is a change of basis matrix useful?

A change of basis matrix is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics. It allows for the simplification of calculations and makes it easier to solve problems in different coordinate systems.

4. Can a change of basis matrix be used for any vector?

Yes, a change of basis matrix can be used for any vector as long as the dimensions of the matrix match the dimensions of the vector. This means that the matrix must be square and have the same number of rows and columns as the vector has elements.

5. How does a change of basis matrix affect the properties of a vector?

A change of basis matrix does not change the properties of a vector, such as its magnitude or direction. It simply represents the vector in a different coordinate system, making it easier to work with in certain situations.