Change in internal energy of an inelastic collision.

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the change in internal energy of a system involving a car and a truck that collided and slid together with no rotation. The final velocity of the system was calculated using the change in kinetic energy, but the answer was incorrect. It was suggested to use the magnitudes of the velocities when calculating kinetic energy.
flyboy9

Homework Statement

A car of mass 2200 kg collides with a truck of mass 4500 kg, and just after the collision the car and truck slide along, stuck together, with no rotation. The car's velocity just before the collision was < 35, 0, 0 > m/s, and the truck's velocity just before the collision was < -18, 0, 27 > m/s.

Homework Equations

Pf=Pi+F*time
Ef=Ei+Q+W

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the change in kinetic energy of the system to solve of the change in internal energy.

Ef=.5*m*v2
Ef=.5*6700*<-.597,0,18.134>2 <-- final velocity of the system was calculated in an earlier step and found to be correct
Ef,sys=<1194,0,1101620>

Ei,car=.5*2200*<35,0,0>2
=<1347500,0,0>
Ei,truck=.5*4500*<-18,0,27>2
=<72900,0,1640250
EI,sys=Ei,car+Ei,truck
= <1420400,0,1640250>

I then found the change in energy by Ef,sys-Ei,sys and then getting the magnitude to solve get change in internal energy. This however did not get me the correct answer. I am stuck and not sure what to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
flyboy9 said:
Ef=.5*m*v2
Ef=.5*6700*<-.597,0,18.134>2 <-- final velocity of the system was calculated in an earlier step and found to be correct
Ef,sys=<1194,0,1101620>

Ei,car=.5*2200*<35,0,0>2
=<1347500,0,0>
Ei,truck=.5*4500*<-18,0,27>2
=<72900,0,1640250
EI,sys=Ei,car+Ei,truck
= <1420400,0,1640250>
Looks like you're using vector notation to express the energy. KE is a scalar, not a vector--it has no components. Use the full speed when calculating KE.

so would I calculate the magnitudes of the velocities first?

flyboy9 said:
so would I calculate the magnitudes of the velocities first?
Yes.

Related to Change in internal energy of an inelastic collision.

1. What is the definition of "change in internal energy" in an inelastic collision?

The change in internal energy refers to the difference between the initial internal energy of a system and its final internal energy after an inelastic collision has occurred.

2. How does the change in internal energy in an inelastic collision compare to that of an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the change in internal energy is zero because no energy is lost to other forms. In an inelastic collision, however, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms, resulting in a decrease in internal energy.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the change in internal energy in an inelastic collision?

The magnitude of the change in internal energy depends on the materials involved in the collision, their masses, and the velocity at which they collide. Generally, the greater the difference in masses and the higher the velocity, the larger the change in internal energy.

4. Can the change in internal energy in an inelastic collision be negative?

Yes, the change in internal energy can be negative in an inelastic collision. This means that the final internal energy of the system is less than the initial internal energy, indicating a loss of energy.

5. How is the change in internal energy related to the concept of work in inelastic collisions?

The change in internal energy is related to work in inelastic collisions through the principle of conservation of energy. The decrease in kinetic energy of the colliding objects is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, which can be calculated using the work-energy theorem.