Challenging problem corrrection no sine and no cosine law

In summary, The conversation is about a geometry problem involving triangles. The person mentions a mistake in their previous post and restates the problem correctly. They clarify that it is not a homework question and encourage others to try it out for interest. The problem involves determining unknown angles in a triangle without using sine and cosine laws. The person suggests using linear algebra to solve the problem.
davedave
sorry about the mistake in my last post. I miswrote the bottom vertex of the equilateral triangle.

Let me re-state the problem correctly

This is the 3rd and final question I post from the book, The Unsolvable and the Solvable.

It is NOT a homework question. This is something for everyone to try out for interest.

Consider an isoceles triangle ABC and an equilateral triangle BCF which share the side BC as shown below. Please ignore the dotted lines.

......A

......D
.........E

....B_________________C

......F

D is a point on side AB and E is a point on side AC.

angle DAE=20 degrees
angle DEA=20 degrees
angle EDC=10 degrees
angle ECD=10 degrees
angle DBC=80 degrees
angle DCB=70 degrees
angle BDC=30 degrees

WITHOUT using the sine and cosine law, determine angle EFC.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Label the following unknown angles:

a = BDF b = FDC c = DEF d = FEC e = BFD f = DFE g = EFC

Then, write 7 different equations involving them.

For example, a + e + 140 = 180.

Once you have 7 equations with 7 unknowns, it can be solved. Though, it is messy. If you know linear algebra, I would use matrices to solve the system.

Related to Challenging problem corrrection no sine and no cosine law

1. What is a challenging problem that does not involve the sine or cosine law?

One example of a challenging problem that does not involve the sine or cosine law is the knight's tour problem, which involves finding a path for a knight on a chessboard to visit every square exactly once.

2. How can I approach a challenging problem without using the sine or cosine law?

One approach is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and then use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to solve each part individually.

3. Why is it important to have alternative methods for solving challenging problems?

Having alternative methods allows us to approach problems from different perspectives and can often lead to more creative and efficient solutions. It also helps us to develop our critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any disadvantages to not using the sine or cosine law in challenging problem correction?

One potential disadvantage is that without using these common mathematical laws, it may be more difficult to find existing solutions or resources to aid in problem solving. Additionally, not using these laws may make the problem more complex and time-consuming to solve.

5. Can challenging problems involving no sine or cosine law still have real-world applications?

Yes, many problems in fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics do not involve the sine or cosine law but still have important real-world applications. These problems often require critical thinking and problem-solving skills to find practical solutions.