Challenging physics problem with spring, oscillations and moment of inertia?

In summary, the system has potential energy in the spring, kinetic energy in the pulley, and gravitational potential energy in the weight.
Kratos321
Hello everyone! Here is the link to the problem:
http://i.imgur.com/2HNrQ.jpg

I don't even know where to start. Any help to get started would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Cheers

Attachments

• gg.JPG
    gg.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 677
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by assigning variable names for the forces and any other key variables (as functions of time), then consider the spring and each mass in turn to obtain equations relating them. Work entirely with symbols for values. Don't plug the numbers in until the final step.

Okay, here's a start.

The spring starts out unstretched, so it has zero potential energy. Nothing is moving, so there's no kinetic energy. All the energy of the system is gravitational potential energy.

As the weight falls a distance x, some of that energy is converted to potential energy in the spring.
The gravitational potential energy decreases by mgx.
The spring potential energy increases by 1/2 kx^2.

At the weight's lowest point, there is again no motion, so all of the energy is in the spring.
This occurs 20 cm below the starting point (the highest point).
k = 2mg/x = 2 * 2kg * 9.8m/s^2 / .2m
k = 196 N/m

In between the end points, the system also has kinetic energy.
As the string moves with speed v, the pulley turns with angular speed ω = v/R.
The moment of inertia of a disk is 1/2 mR^2, so the pulley's kinetic energy is 1/4 m v^2.
Meanwhile the hanging weight has kinetic energy of 1/2 mv^2.
So the total kinetic energy of the system is 3/4 m v^2.

I'm not sure how to get from kinetic energy to oscillation period.

Good start. If x is the spring extension at time t, what are the relationships between:
v(t) and x(t)?
KE of system and PE of system?

I've been thinking about your questions and I am extremely confused. Please expand?

Let x(t) be the spring extension at time t. What differential equation relates that to v(t), the velocity of the mass?
You have determined the kinetic and potential energies of the components of the system. What equation connects these?

Hmm, I see. Is this right so far?

x(t) = 0.2cos(ωt)
v(t) = -0.2ωsin(ωt)

3/4 m*v^2 + mgx = 1/2*k*x^2

Kratos321 said:
x(t) = 0.2cos(ωt)
v(t) = -0.2ωsin(ωt)
I was looking for merely that dx/dt = v. Instead, you've leapt straight to the solution of the ODE. I guess that's ok, since the question effectively tells you it's SHM.
3/4 m*v^2 + mgx = 1/2*k*x^2
Not quite. The total energy should be constant: KE mass + KE pulley + PE mass.
Once you have the right energy equation, you can use your equations for x(t) and v(t).

Related to Challenging physics problem with spring, oscillations and moment of inertia?

1. What is the formula for calculating the period of oscillation for a mass attached to a spring?

The formula for calculating the period of oscillation for a mass attached to a spring is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in N/m.

2. How does the moment of inertia affect the oscillation of a mass attached to a spring?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, affects the oscillation of a mass attached to a spring by increasing the period of oscillation. As the moment of inertia increases, the mass attached to the spring will take longer to complete one full oscillation.

3. Can you explain Hooke's law and its relation to the oscillation of a mass attached to a spring?

Hooke's law states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This means that as the spring is stretched, the force it exerts increases, causing the mass attached to it to oscillate. The greater the force, the greater the amplitude of the oscillation.

4. How do you calculate the spring constant for a given spring?

The spring constant, denoted by k, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This can be expressed as k = F/x, where F is the force in Newtons and x is the displacement in meters.

5. How does the amplitude of oscillation change with changes in the mass or spring constant?

The amplitude of oscillation, which is the maximum displacement of the mass attached to the spring, is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that as the mass increases, the amplitude also increases, while an increase in the spring constant will decrease the amplitude.