Chain Rule with Partials & Evaluation Question

In summary: So would it be (2u - 2v) then?I am not sure, I believe I am messing up on the concept of a derivative, I will need to go back and read up on that and try again. Thank you for your time, I appreciate the help.Yes, (2u - 2v). So now you have both ∂x/∂v and ∂y/∂v. Write them out and multiply them by -cos(xy) + y cos(x), respectively. Then add them together to get ##∂z/∂v##. You will be done. And don't worry about it, this is hard stuff!In summary, in
Alex Bard
Hi, I have a test prep question regarding Chain Rule, please see the problem and my attempt below. I believe part A is okay but part B, I'm just confused, seems like there is a part missing from the question, or at least how I'm use to doing it.

Homework Statement

[itex]A. Let f(x, y) = cos(xy) + ycos(x), where x = u^2 + v and y = u - v^2. Find \frac{∂z}{∂v} when u = 1, v = -1.[/itex]

B. Let f(x,y) = ln(x - 3y). Find f(6.9, 2.06)

Homework Equations

Chain Rule is stated by [itex] \frac{∂z}{∂x} * \frac{∂x}{∂v} + \frac{∂z}{∂y} * \frac{∂y}{∂v}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A.

[itex]frac{∂z}{∂v}[/itex] = cos(xy) + y cos(x)

First take the partial in respect to x and multiply by partial to respect to v
= (y)[-sin(xy) - y sin(x)] (2u + v)

Take partial in respect to y and multiply by partial in respect to v
= (x)[-sin(xy) + cos(x)] (u - 2v)

Add both of them to complete:
= (y)[-sin(xy) - y sin(x)] (2u + v) + (x)[-sin(xy) + cos(x)] (u - 2v)

Now, I substitute the values of x & y with their respective counterparts:
= (u - v^2)[-sin((u^2+v)(u-v^2)) - (u-v^2)(sin(u^2+v))] + (u^2+v)[-sin((u^2+v)(u-v^2)) + cos(u^2+v)](u-2v)

Now I will plug in the respective values for u & v with their respective counterparts:
= (1 - (-1)^2)[-sin((1^2+(-1))(1-(-1)^2)) - (1-(-1)^2)(sin(1^2+(-1)))] + (1^2+(-1))[-sin((1^2+(-1))(1-(-1)^2)) + cos(1^2+(-1))](1-2(-1))

Now to simplify and Solve:
Now I will plug in the respective values for u & v with their respective counterparts:
= (0)[-sin((0)(0)) - (0)(sin(0))] + (0)[-sin((0)(0)) + cos(0)](3)
= 0 + 0 (3)

so the answer I get is 0.

Does that seem right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part B.

Let f(x, y) = ln(x - 3y). Find (6.9, 2.06)

I believe this problem is missing a point but considering this problem as is, I got:

Find f(6.9, 2.06) = ln(x - 3y)
→ (6.9 - 6.18) = 0.72 → ln(0.72) ≈ -0.33

Now zx = [itex]\frac{1}{x - 3y}[/itex]
Now zy = [itex]\frac{-3}{x - 3y}[/itex]

so my final answer is

[itex]\frac{1}{.72} , \frac{-3}{.72}[/itex]

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unsure of your notation, which makes it hard to answer. By ##\int(x,y)## do you mean f(x,y) a function, and not an integral? And do you then mean z = f(x,y)?

Yes sir, for some reason seeing the integral sign at first looked like a f to me, as in function. Fixed the notation.

and

Alex Bard said:
Let f(x, y) = cos(xy) + y cos(x)
f(x, y) = [-sin(y) - y sin(x)] * 1 + [- sin(y) + 1 * cos(x) + y-sin(x)] * (-2v)
You've lost me already. You don't mean f(x,y) on the LHS, right? Some derivative of f? Even then, I don't see how you get the RHS, e.g. how you would get any sin(y) term. Pls fill in the gaps.

Apologize for the messiness, I rewrote and did my best to follow the brackets and (), please let me know if it doesn't make sense for me to go back and clean it up even further.

Alex, assuming z = f(x,y) did you mean your next line to be dz/dx which would be ##f_x(x,y)##? Because you wrote f(x,y) again. And if you did mean it to be ##f_x(x,y)## it isn't computed correctly. There could not be a sin(y) in that derivative. Pretend to begin with that the "y" is a 2 and it may be clearer how to take this derivative.

Until this much is sorted out, we can't go on to the next step.

Sir, I believe I've cleaned it up right before your comment. Per haps it looks better now? Let me know if its still messy and I will attempt to break it up. Also, you are correct, i did mess that part up and re-did my math as a result. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Alex Bard said:
A. Let ##f(x, y) = \cos(xy) + y\cos(x)##, where ##x = u^2 + v## and ##y = u - v^2##. Find ##\frac{∂z}{∂v}## when u = 1, v = -1.

First take the partial in respect to x and multiply by partial to respect to v
= (y)[-sin(xy) - y sin(x)] (2u + v)
That gives you a term -y2 sin(x) on the left. Looks like a factorisation error.
And ∂x/∂v is not (2u + v).

You are now on the right track. However your ##∂x/∂v## and ##∂y/∂v## are not computed correctly.

Okay, I see that it should be (2u + 1) in ∂x/∂v

and I see, it was an ill placed bracket, the y should NOT be distributed across both terms. It should be:
= [(y)-sin(xy) - y sin(x)] (2u + v)

Am I correct in both of those assessments?

Alex Bard said:
Okay, I see that it should be (2u + 1) in ∂x/∂v

and I see, it was an ill placed bracket, the y should NOT be distributed across both terms. It should be:
= [(y)-sin(xy) - y sin(x)] (2u + v)

Am I correct in both of those assessments?
No, your ∂x/∂v is still wrong. What, by definition, is ∂u/∂v?
And I hope you mean [-(y)sin(xy) - y sin(x)]

∂u/∂v means the change in u in respect to change in v.

But isn't it ∂x/∂v? As in the change in x in respect to v? so it would be just 1? considering the u^2 is a constant it would be 0 and v would become 1, correct?

Alex Bard said:
∂u/∂v means the change in u in respect to change in v.

But isn't it ∂x/∂v? As in the change in x in respect to v? so it would be just 1? considering the u^2 is a constant it would be 0 and v would become 1, correct?
Yes! ∂g/∂v means the change in g in respect to change in v if u is held constant. So by definition ∂u/∂v = 0.

Okay, so in that respect, this is what the problem should look like.

Let f (x, y) = cos(xy) + y cos(x);

= [-y sin(xy) -y sin (x)](1) + [-x sin(xy) + cos(x)](-2v)

substituting u & v for their respective values of x & y:

= [ (-u-v^2)(sin((u^2+v)(u-v^2)) - (u - v^2) sin((u^2 + v)(u - v^2))] + [(-u^2+v) sin(u-v^2) + cos(u^2+v)](-2v)

substituting the given values of u & v with solved x & y values:

u = 1
v = -1
x = u^2 + v = 1^2+(-1) = 0
y = u - v^2 = 1 - (-1)^2 = 0

= [(-2) sin((0)(0)) - (0) sin((0)(0))] + [(-2) sin(0) + cos(0)] (-2(-1))

sin(0) = 0
cos(0) = 1

= cos(0)(-2v) = 1 * (2) = 2

Last edited:
Alex Bard said:
Let f (x, y) = cos(xy) + y cos(x);

= [-y sin(xy) -sin (x)](1) + [-x sin(y) + cos(x)](-2v)
You've lost a factor y in the sin(x) term, and the next term is wrong too.
If we're ever going to get through this you will need to be more careful with the algebra.

haruspex said:
You've lost a factor y in the sin(x) term, and the next term is wrong too.
If we're ever going to get through this you will need to be more careful with the algebra.

Edited the above post for correction. Thank you for point out my mistake and I will be more careful going forward.

Alex Bard said:
= [ (-u-v^2)(sin((u^2+v)(u-v^2)) - (u - v^2) sin((u^2 + v)(u - v^2))] + [(-u^2+v) sin(u-v^2) + cos(u^2+v)](-2v)
Sign errors. -a-b is not the same as -(a-b).
[ (-u-v^2)(sin((u^2+v)(u-v^2)) - (u - v^2) sin((u^2 + v)(u - v^2))] + [(-u^2+v) sin(u-v^2) + cos(u^2+v)](-2v)
Missing x factor inside.

haruspex said:
Sign errors. -a-b is not the same as -(a-b).

Missing x factor inside.

Thank you for your help and I believe I got the problem already solved on paper, just do not know how to mark the post as SOLVED as I can't edit my original Post

Last edited:
Alex Bard said:
Thank you for your help and I believe I got the problem already solved on paper, just do not know how to mark the post as SOLVED as I can't edit my original Post

Yes, it would be handy if there were some status flag the originator could turn on to say the thread is finished with. Another flag requesting more help would also be useful. Sometimes people post to their own ignored thread saying 'bump', but that's easily missed.

Related to Chain Rule with Partials & Evaluation Question

1. What is the chain rule with partial derivatives?

The chain rule with partial derivatives is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It allows us to break down a complex function into smaller parts and find the rate of change for each variable.

2. How do you apply the chain rule with partial derivatives?

To apply the chain rule with partial derivatives, you first find the derivative of the outer function with respect to its variable. Then, you multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to its variable. This process continues until all variables have been accounted for.

3. Can the chain rule be used with any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used with any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is widely applicable in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What is the purpose of using the chain rule with partial derivatives?

The purpose of using the chain rule with partial derivatives is to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It allows us to break down a complex function into smaller parts and find the rate of change for each variable, making it easier to solve problems involving multivariable functions.

5. How is the chain rule with partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

The chain rule with partial derivatives is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to analyze and model complex systems involving multiple variables, such as in optimization problems, differential equations, and multivariate data analysis.