Chain Rule for Functions of Two Variables Partial Differentiation Question

In summary: Homework Statement In summary, the problem is trying to find ∂f/∂t at (s,t)=(1,1) and because f is a function of x and y and x and y are not given, it's impossible to give specific numbers.
Kushwoho44

Homework Statement

Let x=ts^2 -1 and y=ln(s)-t

Use the chain rule for functions of two variables to determine ∂f/∂t at (s,t)=(1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

y=ln(s)-t

∂f/∂t= ∂f/∂s X ∂s/∂t -1

t=x+1/s^2

∂t/∂s= -2(x+1)/s^3

∂s/∂t=s^3/-2(x+1)

∴ ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(x+1) -1

= ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(ts^2) -1

∂f/∂t (1,1) = 1/-2 +1

=0.5

However, the answer is 1 and I have spent two hours trying to work out why I am wrong. All help will be met with great appreciation. Thanks <3

Physics news on Phys.org
Kushwoho44 said:

Homework Statement

Let x=ts^2 -1 and y=ln(s)-t

Use the chain rule for functions of two variables to determine ∂f/∂t at (s,t)=(1,1)
What is f? Are we to assume that f is some differentiable function of x and y?

The Attempt at a Solution

y=ln(s)-t

∂f/∂t= ∂f/∂s X ∂s/∂t -1
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(2st)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{1}{s}[/tex]
At (s, t)= (1, 1), that would be
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}(1, 1)= 2\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

t=x+1/s^2
I have no clue where this is coming from. Before, x and y were functions of s and t. Now t is a function of x and s? Is this a different problem?

∂t/∂s= -2(x+1)/s^3

∂s/∂t=s^3/-2(x+1)

∴ ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(x+1) -1

= ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(ts^2) -1

∂f/∂t (1,1) = 1/-2 +1

=0.5

However, the answer is 1 and I have spent two hours trying to work out why I am wrong. All help will be met with great appreciation. Thanks <3

Given f a function of x and y and [itex]x=ts^2 -1[/itex] and [itex]y=ln(s)-t[/itex] as before
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}= s^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]
At (s, t)= (1, 1) that is
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

It's impossible to give specific numbers, as you seem to have, because you have not given f as a function of x and y.

Hi, I'll upload the link to the question. I highly doubt here is an error in the actual question.

Related to Chain Rule for Functions of Two Variables Partial Differentiation Question

1. What is the chain rule for functions of two variables?

The chain rule for functions of two variables is a method used in multivariable calculus to find the partial derivatives of a composite function. It states that the partial derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of the individual functions involved.

2. How is the chain rule applied to functions of two variables?

The chain rule is applied by taking the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to one variable, and then multiplying it by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable. This process is repeated for each variable in the function.

3. Why is the chain rule important in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a composite function with respect to multiple variables. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

4. Can the chain rule be extended to functions of more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be extended to functions of any number of variables. The process is the same, where we take the partial derivatives of the outer and inner functions with respect to each variable in the function.

5. How can the chain rule be used to find higher order derivatives?

The chain rule can be used to find higher order derivatives by repeatedly applying the rule. For example, to find the second order derivative of a function of two variables, we first find the first order partial derivatives using the chain rule, and then apply the chain rule again to find the second order derivatives.