Chain Rule - B&S Theorem 6.1.6 ....

In summary, the Chain Rule is used to calculate the derivative of a function at a given point. Caratheodory's Theorem states that if a function is continuous at a given point, then its derivative at that point is also continuous.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 6: Differentiation ...

I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 6.1.6 ...Theorem 6.1.6 and its proof ... ... reads as follows:
View attachment 7287In the above text from Bartle and Sherbert we read the following:

"... Since the function \(\displaystyle ( \psi \circ f ) \cdot \phi\) is continuous at \(\displaystyle c\), and its value at \(\displaystyle c\) is \(\displaystyle g' (f (c) ) \cdot f'(c)\) , Caratheodory's Theorem gives (11) ...Could someone please explain exactly how Caratheodory's Theorem gives (11) ...?Peter
*** NOTE ***

The post above mentions Caratheodory's Theorem ... so I am proving the text of the theorem statement ... as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7288

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 6: Differentiation ...

I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 6.1.6 ...Theorem 6.1.6 and its proof ... ... reads as follows:
In the above text from Bartle and Sherbert we read the following:

"... Since the function \(\displaystyle ( \psi \circ f ) \cdot \phi\) is continuous at \(\displaystyle c\), and its value at \(\displaystyle c\) is \(\displaystyle g' (f (c) ) \cdot f'(c)\) , Caratheodory's Theorem gives (11) ...Could someone please explain exactly how Caratheodory's Theorem gives (11) ...?Peter
*** NOTE ***

The post above mentions Caratheodory's Theorem ... so I am proving the text of the theorem statement ... as follows:

After a little reflection I think the answer to my question is along the following lines ...

In the proof of the Chain Rule (Theorem 6.1.6) B&S establish that:

\(\displaystyle g(f(x)) - g(f(c)) = [ ( \psi \circ f(x) ) \cdot \phi (x) ] ( x - c )\)

Matching this with (10) in Caratheodory's Theorem and noting that (in the notation of that theorem) \(\displaystyle \phi (c) = f'(c)\), we then have (in Theorem 6.1.6) that

\(\displaystyle [ ( \psi \circ f ) \cdot \phi ] (c) = ( g \cdot f)' (c) \)Is that a correct interpretation ... ?

Peter

Yes, it's correct. In my opinion, there is nothing here besides matching a general theorem statement with a concrete situation.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, it's correct. In my opinion, there is nothing here besides matching a general theorem statement with a concrete situation.

Thanks Evgeny ...

Peter

Related to Chain Rule - B&S Theorem 6.1.6 ....

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when a function is composed of two or more functions, and we need to find the rate of change of the overall function.

2. What is the B&S Theorem 6.1.6?

The B&S Theorem 6.1.6, also known as the Chain Rule Theorem, is a specific version of the Chain Rule that applies to functions with multiple variables. It states that the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function multiplied together.

3. When do we use the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is used whenever we have a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is particularly useful in calculus, as it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components.

4. How do we apply the Chain Rule?

To apply the Chain Rule, we first identify the inner function and the outer function of the composite function. Then, we find the derivative of the inner function and multiply it by the derivative of the outer function. It is important to use the correct notation and apply the chain rule for each function in the composite.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule has many real-life applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to find the rate of change of complex systems, such as in motion and heat transfer problems. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze the behavior of markets and investments.