CFD analysis of a turbine, interpreting torque values

In summary, the conversation is about using CFD to analyze a Kaplan turbine and interpreting torque values. The x, y, and z components of torque are discussed, with the z component determining the rotation direction and the x and y components potentially causing tilting. There is also a question about how CFD works with surface goals and whether they only record torque from the fluid or also include torque from attached bodies.
Jeviah
Homework Statement
Use CFD to determine the characteristics of a turbine.
Relevant Equations
N/A
Hello, I am using CFD to analyse a Kaplan turbine and am unsure on how to interpret the torque values as they come as x, y and z components. My understanding is that the z component in this case will determine the rotation direction depending on whether it is positive or negative however I am unsure how to interpret the x and y components, my thinking is that I would use vector addition to find the resulting magnitude of torque with the z component determining whether the part is rotating clockwise or anticlockwise? or would a have to do something different?

Current torque values:
195.3 (x component)
-60.2 (y component)
-6.9 (z component)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is something wrong here: from symmetry I would say ##\tau_x = \tau_y = 0## for an even number of blades. The ##\tau_z## should all be in one and the same direction and add up constructively.
So to see ##|\tau_z|## as the smallest value is unexpected !

The sign is negative, I assume because your flow is in the ##+z## direction ?

BvU said:
There is something wrong here: from symmetry I would say ##\tau_x = \tau_y = 0## for an even number of blades. The ##\tau_z## should all be in one and the same direction and add up constructively.
So to see ##|\tau_z|## as the smallest value is unexpected !

The sign is negative, I assume because your flow is in the ##+z## direction ?

Correct my low is in the z+ direction. It seems I have got incorrect information somewhere when asking about torque...
So to clarify the torque value which determines the rotation and therefore power etc is the z component? So on any orientation you would take the torque value from the rotating axis for calculations?

Just for a better understanding as well would I be correct in saying the the X and Y components are essentially trying to tilt the whole turbine?

Jeviah said:
Correct my low is in the z+ direction. It seems I have got incorrect information somewhere when asking about torque...
So to clarify the torque value which determines the rotation and therefore power etc is the z component? yes
So on any orientation you would take the torque value from the rotating axis for calculations?

Just for a better understanding as well would I be correct in saying the the X and Y components are essentially trying to tilt the whole turbine? yes
Torque is around an axis and points along that axis of rotation.

BvU said:
Torque is around an axis and points along that axis of rotation.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
One final question about how CFD works, am I correct in saying that when using surface goals, the surface goal will only record the torque applied to said surface by the fluid, opposed to including bodies attached to it?
For example a surface goal on an axle will only record the torque generated directly by the fluid, it won't include how the torque from the blades will actually alter it

Sorry, I have no idea -- you'll have to ask the program's customer support.

Related to CFD analysis of a turbine, interpreting torque values

What is CFD analysis and how is it used in turbine design?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis is a numerical simulation technique used to analyze the flow of fluids, such as air or water, around an object. In the case of turbines, CFD analysis can be used to study the aerodynamics of the blades and determine their efficiency and performance.

What are the main factors that affect the torque values of a turbine?

The torque of a turbine is affected by several factors, including the design of the blades, the shape of the turbine, the speed of the fluid, and the angle of attack of the blades. Additionally, the viscosity and density of the fluid can also impact the torque values.

How do you interpret torque values from a CFD analysis of a turbine?

The torque values obtained from a CFD analysis can provide important insights into the performance of a turbine. A higher torque value indicates that the turbine is able to convert more of the energy from the fluid into rotational energy. By comparing the torque values for different designs, engineers can determine which design is more efficient.

What are some common challenges in interpreting torque values from a CFD analysis?

One common challenge in interpreting torque values from a CFD analysis is ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the simulation. This requires careful calibration and validation of the CFD model. Another challenge is accounting for all the factors that can affect torque, such as turbulence and flow separation.

How can CFD analysis of a turbine be used to optimize its design?

By using CFD analysis, engineers can test and compare different design variations of a turbine before building physical prototypes. This allows for faster and more cost-effective optimization of the turbine design, leading to improved performance and efficiency. Additionally, CFD analysis can also help identify potential design flaws and areas for improvement in the turbine's performance.