Centripetal thrust need at high-speed

In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle inspired by Stephen Baxter's novel "Ring" and the question of how the Newton equation is altered by relativity when the velocity is near the speed of light. The participants discuss their own thoughts and share a link for further information, but no direct answer is found.
qraal
Hi Relativists

My puzzle is inspired by Stephen Baxter's novel "Ring" in which the starship "Great Northern" flies out and back to Earth in a proper time of 1,000 years, but on Earth 5,000,000 years have passed.

The description in the novel suggests that the starship flies in a loop, so I wonder when flying in an immense circle at a high gamma factor just how big the circle has to be if the centripetal acceleration felt onboard ship is just 1 gee? I guess, more generally, how is the Newton equation a = V2/R altered by relativity when V is near c?

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be of some help.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mentz114

Thanks for pointing it out, but I'm already well acquainted with John's pages and on this question his material doesn't give me a direct answer that I can tease out.

But here's my own thoughts. I know the relativistic momentum of a moving mass is mVγ, thus my guess is that the equation needs to be modified to:

a = (Vγ)2/R

...does that sound right?

Mentz114 said:
This may be of some help.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was a rather lame response I made. Your supposition looks right but I'll need to think about it because there may be other relativistic factors. I'm sure someone else will have something add...

Related to Centripetal thrust need at high-speed

1. What is centripetal thrust and why is it needed at high speeds?

Centripetal thrust is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path. At high speeds, objects tend to move in a straight line, so centripetal thrust is needed to keep them on a curved path.

2. What factors affect the amount of centripetal thrust needed at high speeds?

The amount of centripetal thrust needed at high speeds is affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the radius of the circular path it is traveling on.

3. How is centripetal thrust generated at high speeds?

Centripetal thrust can be generated by various means, such as through the use of a propeller or jet engine, or by the rotation of a vehicle's wheels. It can also be created by the lift force of an airplane's wings.

4. How does centripetal thrust differ from centrifugal force?

Centripetal thrust is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object as it moves along a curved path. In reality, centrifugal force is just an effect of an object's inertia.

5. Can an object experience centripetal thrust without moving in a circular path?

No, centripetal thrust is specifically related to the circular motion of an object. If an object is not moving in a circular path, there is no need for centripetal thrust to keep it on that path.