Centripetal Motion on a Semi-Rollercoaster

In summary, the conversation is discussing the analysis of a roller coaster represented in a diagram with a radius of 36.9m and reaching speeds of 160km/hr going up and free falling from a height of 115m for three seconds. The individual is questioning how to calculate acceleration when going up and down the curve and also mentions a function represented in the diagram as f(x)=exp(-x) which shows linear decay.
Procrastinate
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p5740.jpg
I am doing an analysis on a roller coaster that is represented on the diagram attached.

However, I am having trouble analysing the curve. The radius is 36.9m and it is 160km/hr going up and then it free falls back down from 115m for about three seconds.
When I am going up do I just use a_centripetal = v^2/r to find the acceleration?
When I am going down, I have to find the acceleration as well as the velocity, but how do I know where to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
u know the figure look like a function f(x)=exp(-x).
the above function mean that "x" is linear and than it decay exponentially as u can see in ur figure.

Related to Centripetal Motion on a Semi-Rollercoaster

1. How does centripetal motion work on a semi-rollercoaster?

Centripetal motion is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. On a semi-rollercoaster, the centripetal force is provided by the track itself, which curves in a circular shape. As the rollercoaster moves along the track, the centripetal force pulls it towards the center of the curve, keeping it from flying off the track.

2. What factors affect centripetal motion on a semi-rollercoaster?

The speed of the rollercoaster, the radius of the curve, and the mass of the rollercoaster all affect centripetal motion on a semi-rollercoaster. The faster the rollercoaster is moving, the more centripetal force is needed to keep it on the track. A smaller radius of the curve also requires more centripetal force, while a larger radius requires less force. Finally, a heavier rollercoaster will require more centripetal force to stay on the track compared to a lighter one.

3. How does centripetal motion impact the force experienced by riders on a semi-rollercoaster?

Centripetal motion can create a sensation of weightlessness for riders on a semi-rollercoaster. As the rollercoaster moves through the curve, the centripetal force acts in the opposite direction of gravity, reducing the force that the riders feel on their bodies. This can create the feeling of being lifted off the seat or experiencing zero gravity.

4. Can centripetal motion cause a rollercoaster to derail?

In most cases, centripetal motion will not cause a rollercoaster to derail. Rollercoaster tracks are designed to withstand the forces of centripetal motion and keep the cars on the track. However, if the rollercoaster is traveling at an excessive speed or the track is damaged, it is possible for the rollercoaster to derail.

5. How is centripetal motion on a semi-rollercoaster different from other types of motion?

Centripetal motion is a type of circular motion, where an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point. Unlike other types of motion, centripetal motion requires a constant force acting towards the center of the curve in order to maintain the circular path. This is different from linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed and direction.