Centripetal force. Radius is not given. Find tension in each support

In summary: The tension in the supports is found by multiplying the mass of the platform by the tension in the support. The solutions are given in the doc that was uploaded.
osman ibn ali
There is this problem that I have been trying to do but I just cannot understand how to approach it. I have been doing centripetal problems for hours so maybe I am just tired.
The thing is that I do not see an equation I can use to cancel out radius since the radius is not given.
I have uploaded a file containing a diagram
Help would be aprreciated. THANKS.

."In an amusement park ride a motor rotates two platforms with a period of 4.0 s in a vertical circle. The mass of platform 1 is 1200 kg and 2000 kg for platform 2. Find the tension in each support when the platforms are at the bottom as shown."

Attachments

• centripetal problem.docx
    19.3 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
When I open the doc I see text but no diagram. Can you describe it in words?

l
l Support A is 4.0m
l
------- Platform 1 is 800 kg
l
l
l Support B 3.0 m
l
l
--------- Platform 2 is 1000kg

A kind of visual diagram with the strings and platforms is shown above.

osman ibn ali said:

Homework Statement

There is this problem that I have been trying to do but I just cannot understand how to approach it. I have been doing centripetal problems for hours so maybe I am just tired.
The thing is that I do not see an equation I can use to cancel out radius since the radius is not given.
I have uploaded a file containing a diagram
Help would be appreciated. THANKS.

."In an amusement park ride a motor rotates two platforms with a period of 4.0 s in a vertical circle. The mass of platform 1 is 1200 kg and 2000 kg for platform 2. Find the tension in each support when the platforms are at the bottom as shown."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Information is given that gives the two radii.

The circle each rotates in is in a vertical plane.

Related to Centripetal force. Radius is not given. Find tension in each support

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What does it mean when the radius is not given?

If the radius is not given, it means that the problem is asking you to find the tension in the supports without knowing the distance between the object and the center of the circle. This can be solved by setting up equations using the known values and solving for the unknown tension.

4. How do I find the tension in each support?

To find the tension in each support, you can use the formula T = Fc + mg, where T is the tension, Fc is the centripetal force, and mg is the force due to gravity. Substitute the values you know, such as the mass of the object and the velocity, and solve for the tension in each support.

5. Can I use centripetal force to find the tension in any circular motion?

Yes, centripetal force can be used to find the tension in any circular motion, as long as the mass, velocity, and radius of the object are known. It is a fundamental concept in circular motion and is applicable in various real-world situations, such as amusement park rides and planetary orbits.