Centripetal Force Calc Question

In summary, the question asks for the centripetal force required to rotate a 3Kg object at a radius of 3m and one revolution per second. The equations used are Fc = MV2/r and V = 2\pir/t. The calculated velocity is 18.85 m/s and the resulting centripetal force is 355.32 N. The poster expresses uncertainty in their solution but is reassured by others.
junkie_ball

Homework Statement

Calculate the centripetal force required to rotate a 3Kg object in a circle at a radius of 3m at one revolution per second?

Ok for some reason i find circular motion a real struggle i have come up with an answer for this question but looking for some reassurance i am on the right lines.

Homework Equations

Fc = MV2/r

V = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r/t

The Attempt at a Solution

First i need to work out the velocity so i use V = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r/t

V = (2[itex]\pi[/itex] x 3)/1
V = 18.85 m/s1

With this i then used the Fc = MV2/r equation to work out the centripetal force as below.

Fc = (3 x 18.852)/3
Fc = 355.32 N

As i said at the beginning of this post i lack confidence in circular motion so would appreciate a pointer in the right direction if i have gone astray.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just fine.

Quinzio said:
It's just fine.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Related to Centripetal Force Calc Question

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity.

2. How do you calculate centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather an apparent force due to the inertia of the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around a planet, the force that keeps a car moving in a circular path on a banked turn, and the force that keeps a ball moving in a circular motion when attached to a string.

5. How does centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. It states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of circular motion, the centripetal force is the external force that is required to keep the object moving in a circular path.