Centripetal Force: At what RPM must you gainer at to decapitate yourself?

In summary, the rotational rate at which your body would begin to tear apart, specifically decapitation, is around 17.32 radians/s. This means that if you are performing a gainer with a rotational rate of 17.32 radians/s or higher, there is a risk of decapitation. As for Guile's Flash Kick in Street Fighter 2, it is not feasible without decapitation due to the high velocity of his feet. If the tips of his feet were indeed traveling at the speed of sound, the tangential velocity of his head would be around 343 m/s. The force imparted on the enemy would be approximately 1373 N, assuming a mass of 4 kg for Guile's head
groinsmash
Ok, here's a question I've been worrying about recently:

If you were to be rotated about your waist, at what rotational rate would your body begin to tear apart, specifically decapitation?

Basically, I've been doing lots of gainers (running back-flips) and I'm concerned that if I get really good at them I might accidentally decapitate myself.

Assume the force required to achieve decapitation is between 5000 and 6000 N (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging#Long_drop for information about this number).

Here's some other information (you may or may not need it...).

Height: 180cm​
Weight: 75kg​

Also, assume the gainer is perfectly laid out and not in tuck or pike position.

As a corollary to this question, find out if Guile's Flash Kick in Street Fighter 2 is feasible without decapitation (assume tips of feet are traveling at the speed of sound). If it is not feasible, find out the tangential velocity Guile's head would be delivered to the enemy and also the force imparted on the enemy (assume Guile's head weighs 4kg and the collision is completely inelastic).

Physics news on Phys.org
groinsmash said:
Ok, here's a question I've been worrying about recently:

If you were to be rotated about your waist, at what rotational rate would your body begin to tear apart, specifically decapitation?

Basically, I've been doing lots of gainers (running back-flips) and I'm concerned that if I get really good at them I might accidentally decapitate myself.
Just plug in the numbers and see:

Fc = mω²r

Solve for ω. The mass of your head is probably about 5 kg.

Related to Centripetal Force: At what RPM must you gainer at to decapitate yourself?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that acts on an object moving in a circular motion towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to RPM?

RPM, or revolutions per minute, is a unit used to measure the speed of an object in circular motion. The faster an object is spinning, the higher the RPM and the greater the centripetal force acting on the object.

3. Can centripetal force be dangerous?

Yes, centripetal force can be dangerous if it exceeds the limit that the object can handle. This can cause the object to break apart or the person riding the object to be thrown off.

4. Is it possible to decapitate yourself by gainer at a certain RPM?

Yes, it is theoretically possible to decapitate yourself by gainer at a certain RPM. However, it would require a very high RPM and a very sharp object, making it highly unlikely to occur in real life.

5. How can we calculate the centripetal force needed for a specific RPM?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = m v^2 / r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. So, to calculate the centripetal force needed for a specific RPM, we would need to know the mass of the object, the velocity (which is related to RPM), and the radius of the circular motion.

Back