Centripetal Force and Roller Coasters

In summary, the roller coaster has a vertical drop of 66m followed by a loop. To stay below 4 times the force of gravity at the bottom of the loop, the minimum radius of the bottom section of the loop must be v^2/4g. The velocity at the bottom of the loop is approximately 36m/s. The force on the rider at the top of the loop, assuming Fc > Fg, is calculated using the conservation of energy and is equal to v^2/3g. The critical speed at the top of the loop for the riders to keep their cash is √(2g(h-2R)).
N0ct

Homework Statement

A) A roller coaster has a vertical drop but followed by a loop. The total vertical height of the drop is 66m. It starts as a steep slope at an angle of 75 degrees relative to the horizontal and then enters into a circular path of radius R. In order to stay below 4 times the force of gravity at the bottom of the bend what is the minimum radius of this bottom section of the loop.

B) After the bottom of the dip of radius R (from above) the track gradually transitions to the inverted (top) part of the loop. What is the force on the rider at the top of the loop if the loops height is 33 meters? Would the change fall out of the riders pockets?

Homework Equations

Fc = mV^2/r
PEg (gravitational potential energy) = mgh
KE = 1/2 mv^2
Conservation of Energy : PEf-PEi = KEf-KEi

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologize if what I did here seems completely wrong! -- I tried!A)

Fc < 4Fg
mv^2/r = 4mg
v^2/r = 4g
r = v^2/4g
v=?

EK (bottom) = PEg (top)
1/2mv^2 = mgh
v = √(2x9.8m/s^2x66m)
v = Approx 36m/s

36m/sxcos(75°) = 9.31 m/s

(9.31m/s)^2/9.8m/s^2 = r

2.21m = r

B)

For this question I'm not sure whether or not to assume Fc = Fg.
I found that by using the consrevation of Energy theory, I can equate the changes in Potential and kinetic energies (by subbing the v found in the previous question) to get Vf, the velocity at the top of the loop. (Right?)

I'm stuck at this question, because there is no mass.
Fc = mV^2/r
F = mg
F = ma

...I'm not too sure how to go about it.
If I use the conservation of energy by equating the changes in both Kinetic/potential energy again, I was a bit stumped on how to solve for 'm'.

I hope this is in the right section.

Physics news on Phys.org
N0ct said:
A) A roller coaster has a vertical drop but followed by a loop. The total vertical height of the drop is 66m. It starts as a steep slope at an angle of 75 degrees relative to the horizontal
This seems inconsistent. It says vertical drop, then 75 degrees. But I can't see that it makes a difference here, so long as the 66m is from top of drop to bottom of loop.
and then enters into a circular path of radius R. In order to stay below 4 times the force of gravity at the bottom of the bend what is the minimum radius of this bottom section of the loop.

Fc = mV^2/r
PEg (gravitational potential energy) = mgh
KE = 1/2 mv^2
Conservation of Energy : PEf-PEi = KEf-KEi

Fc < 4Fg
I would think the 4g limit includes the 1g that would apply if stationary, so the limit is an extra 3g.
mv^2/r = 4mg
v^2/r = 4g
r = v^2/4g
v=?

EK (bottom) = PEg (top)
1/2mv^2 = mgh
v = √(2x9.8m/s^2x66m)
v = Approx 36m/s
The above seems enough to give an answer.
36m/sxcos(75°) = 9.31 m/s
What is this calculating?
B) After the bottom of the dip of radius R (from above) the track gradually transitions to the inverted (top) part of the loop. What is the force on the rider at the top of the loop if the loops height is 33 meters? Would the change fall out of the riders pockets?

For this question I'm not sure whether or not to assume Fc = Fg.
That is the question to be decided - is Fc more or less than Fg.
I found that by using the conservation of Energy theory, I can equate the changes in Potential and kinetic energies (by subbing the v found in the previous question) to get Vf, the velocity at the top of the loop. (Right?)

I'm stuck at this question, because there is no mass.
The masses will cancel out. Fc > Fg if and only if Fc/m > Fg/m.

haruspex said:
so long as the 66m is from top of drop to bottom of loop.

Yes, that is how it's supposed to be pictured.

haruspex said:
I would think the 4g limit includes the 1g that would apply if stationary, so the limit is an extra 3g.

Yes, you are right -- My teacher has demonstrated this question, thank you very much.

So it would have been (as demonstrated),
Ac = V^2/r
r = V^2/ac
r = V^2/3g

haruspex said:
What is this calculating?

A mistake. The angle is unnecessary. >.>

haruspex said:
That is the question to be decided - is Fc more or less than Fg.

The masses will cancel out. Fc > Fg if and only if Fc/m > Fg/m.

Can you please demonstrate how to compute this/the force?
r = 33/2,
v = √2xgx33m (I think)
F = ?
^This portion of the question was not demonstrated; I would like to see -- I'm missing out on as to where/how the masses cancel.

Thank you very much.

N0ct said:
v = √2xgx33m (I think)
That's the actual speed at top of loop, √(2g(h-2R)), right? It's a bit confusing decoding from the numbers because 4R happens to equal h.
F = ?
^This portion of the question was not demonstrated; I would like to see -- I'm missing out on as to where/how the masses cancel.
OK, sorry, I see your problem. I was only looking at the last part, where it asks about the fate of the contents of the riders' pockets. Of course, you cannot say what the force is without knowing the mass. The question setter was probably thinking of acceleration and wrote force by mistake. I would answer it with something like "(some calculated number)m, where m is the mass of the rider".
What is the critical speed at top of loop for the riders to keep their cash?

haruspex said:
That's the actual speed at top of loop, √(2g(h-2R)), right? It's a bit confusing decoding from the numbers because 4R happens to equal h.

Yes -- mgh = 1/2mv^2, where 'h' (33m) is the height difference between the top of the loop and the top of the coaster.

haruspex said:
OK, sorry, I see your problem. I was only looking at the last part, where it asks about the fate of the contents of the riders' pockets. Of course, you cannot say what the force is without knowing the mass. The question setter was probably thinking of acceleration and wrote force by mistake. I would answer it with something like "(some calculated number)m, where m is the mass of the rider".
What is the critical speed at top of loop for the riders to keep their cash?

Thank you!

So what did you get for "Would the change fall out of the riders pockets?"

Related to Centripetal Force and Roller Coasters

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is necessary for an object to maintain a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to roller coasters?

In roller coasters, centripetal force is responsible for keeping the riders in their seats as the coaster car moves along a curved track. The force is provided by the track itself, which exerts a normal force on the car that is directed towards the center of the circular motion.

3. How does the speed of a roller coaster affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force required to keep an object moving in a circular path increases as the speed of the object increases. This means that a faster roller coaster will experience a greater centripetal force than a slower one in the same curved section of track.

4. Why do roller coasters have banked turns?

Roller coasters often have banked turns, where the track is angled towards the center of the curve. This is done to provide the necessary centripetal force to keep the riders in their seats, without the need for excessive speed. The angle of the bank is carefully calculated to provide the right amount of force for a smooth and safe ride.

5. Can centripetal force be felt on a roller coaster?

While riders may not feel the force itself, they do feel its effects. The centripetal force keeps them in their seats and prevents them from flying off the track as the coaster moves through curved sections. Riders may also experience a sensation of being pulled towards the center of the curve, which is a result of the centripetal force acting on their bodies.