Centripetal acceleration - why?

In summary, the centripetal acceleration increases when the radius decreases because the ball changes direction at a faster rate, resulting in a higher acceleration even at a constant speed. This is due to the fact that a smaller radius requires the ball to travel a shorter distance to complete one full circle. The formula for centripetal acceleration is tangential velocity squared divided by the radius.
Cloud 9
Just a general "why" question. Why does the centripetal acceleration increase when the radius decreases? This is not a homework question but rather something I'm trying to make sense of. I read that: "The centripetal acceleration has to continuously change the velocity vector back towards the center of the circle to keep the object moving in a circle."

So shouldn't it be that when the distance from the circle is higher (radius), the centripetal acceleration is higher to change the velocity vector back towards the center?? That isn't the case though since: as the radius decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases...why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a ball traveling in a circle at a constant speed.

If we change the radius of this ball the only difference is that the direction of the ball will change at a different rate. Also, remember that a change in direction is an acceleration. So a ball can be accelerating even at a constant speed IF it is changing direction.

It appeals to the mind that if the ball is on a shorter radius the direction will change faster (and hence) the acceleration will be larger than if the ball were really far away. This makes sense because the distance the ball has to travel to complete one full circle is a lot less if the radius is smaller.

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes more sense. That sentence is just worded weirdly I guess. I'm terrible at physics anyway, give me a chemistry or organic chemistry equation and I'm all on it. lol...well thank you again, I appreciate the help!

centripetal acceleration = tangential velocity squared / radius

are you familiar with that ?

I can provide an explanation for this phenomenon. First, we need to understand what centripetal acceleration is. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that is directed towards the center of a circular path. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular motion.

Now, let's consider the equation for centripetal acceleration: a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation tells us that as the radius decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases.

To understand why this is the case, we need to look at the relationship between velocity and radius. As an object moves in a circular path, its velocity is constantly changing, as it is always directed tangent to the circle. This change in velocity is what causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the circle.

When the radius is larger, the object has a longer distance to travel in a given time period, which means the velocity is lower. This results in a lower centripetal acceleration. However, when the radius decreases, the object has a shorter distance to travel in the same time period, which means the velocity is higher. This results in a higher centripetal acceleration.

In simpler terms, as the object moves in a smaller circular path, it needs to travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, which requires a higher velocity. And since acceleration is directly proportional to velocity, a higher velocity results in a higher centripetal acceleration.

In conclusion, the reason why the centripetal acceleration increases when the radius decreases is because the object needs to travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, which requires a higher velocity and therefore a higher centripetal acceleration.

Related to Centripetal acceleration - why?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences while moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular path. This means that the acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius.

3. Why is centripetal acceleration important?

Centripetal acceleration is important because it explains the motion of objects in circular paths, such as the motion of planets around the sun or the motion of a car around a curve. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as amusement park rides and centrifuges used in scientific experiments.

4. What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object towards the center of its circular path. This force can be provided by various factors, such as gravity, tension in a string, or friction. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This can happen when the object is moving in a vertical circle, such as a roller coaster. In this case, the centripetal acceleration is provided by the normal force from the track, which can be greater than the acceleration due to gravity.