Centripetal Acceleration on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the student is getting confused about how to solve a problem. They go back and try to figure it out again, but get confused.
sltungle
During revision for an exam I have tomorrow I came across a question that left me confused, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with my teacher's explanation today. I'm worried something of the sort may come up in the exam and I won't be entirely certain how to deal with it.

We have a plane inclined at 15 degrees from the horizontal. The circle is 167 metres in radius. A vehicle of unknown mass is driving around this circle. We want to find out the speed that we need to have a sideways friction of 0 on the car.

The answers page has a diagram drawn up similar to this:

inclinced_plane-1.png

(Triangle at right hand side is the one used to determine the normal force from the gravitational force initially.)

Now this seemed all well and fine. They then divided Fc by Fg to remove mass from the equation and ended up with the equation tan(theta) = v^2/rg. Rearrange for v and you have the velocity you're looking for.

... but then I went back and pulled the problem apart and started thinking about it some more, and I got confused.

In that force triangle (the one shown in the picture at the left), the vertical component of the normal force is gravity. But... when you use the equation N = mg*cos(theta) in the first place to get the normal force we had gravity as the hypotenuse (triangle at the right); as the larger force. However, in the force triangle shown in the left of the picture the NORMAL force is the greater of the two. How does this work?

If you work your way backwards and use the equation N = mg*cos(theta) and then replace the 'N' in the vertical component with mg*cos(theta), then you end up with the vertical component in the diagram as mg*cos^2(theta), which is definitely NOT equal to mg. Yet the answer page clearly has that force labelled as 'Ncos(15) = mg'.

I'm getting really confused, and I'm getting really worried. Can somebody please help? :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sltungle! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
sltungle said:
... when you use the equation N = mg*cos(theta) in the first place to get the normal force…

wrong equation! (or, right equation, but for a totally different situation) …

usually, there is no circular motion on a slope, so the normal acceleration is zero, so you use F = ma along the normal.

However, in this case, there is a normal component to the acceleration (because the acceleration is horizontal), but there is no vertical acceleration, so you use F = ma vertically instead. :wink:

Okay. Thank you very much :) Hopefully I won't over-think any questions like that in the exam!

And now I must be off for 1/3 of my mark in physics to be decided in 90 minutes! So long, and thanks for the help!

Related to Centripetal Acceleration on an Inclined Plane

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated on an inclined plane?

Centripetal acceleration on an inclined plane is calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How does the angle of the incline affect the centripetal acceleration?

The angle of the incline affects the centripetal acceleration by changing the radius of the circular path. As the angle increases, the radius decreases, resulting in a larger centripetal acceleration.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal acceleration increases, the centripetal force also increases.

How does changing the mass of the object affect the centripetal acceleration on an inclined plane?

Changing the mass of the object does not affect the centripetal acceleration on an inclined plane. This is because the formula for centripetal acceleration does not include mass as a variable.