Centripetal Acceleration at Equator

The summary of this conversation is that an individual standing at the equator has a centripetal acceleration caused by the Earth's rotation, and in order for the acceleration to be equal to g, the Earth would need to spin at a speed of 4pi^2(6.4x10^6)/(1x60x60x60) meters per second. To convert one day to seconds, you multiply by 24 hours in a day and 60 minutes in an hour.
physics(L)10

Homework Statement

An individual standing at the equator:
a)What is this individuals centripetal acceleration caused by the Earth's rotation?
b)How fast would the Earth need to spin in order for the centripetal acceleration to be equal to g?

T=1 day
radius of Earth = 6.4x10^6 m

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r, v=2pir/T

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to convert the period from day to seconds and then plug in the information.

a=4pi^2r/T^2 = 4pi^2(6.4x10^6)/(1x60x60x60)

Physics news on Phys.org
physics(L)10 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to convert the period from day to seconds and then plug in the information.

a=4pi^2r/T^2 = 4pi^2(6.4x10^6)/(1x60x60x60)

How do you convert one day to seconds?

ehild

1 day x 24hrs/day x 60min/hr x 60 sec/min ... My bad, I put 60 instead of 24

Well, and do not forget to square T.

ehild

So I'm right?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm right, Thanks for your help :D :D And I figured out the last question thank you :D

You are welcome :)

ehild

Related to Centripetal Acceleration at Equator

What is centripetal acceleration at the equator?

Centripetal acceleration at the equator is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path at the equator. It is caused by the Earth's rotation and is directed towards the center of the Earth.

How is centripetal acceleration at the equator calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration at the equator is a = v²/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the Earth.

How does centripetal acceleration at the equator affect objects?

Centripetal acceleration at the equator affects objects by causing them to experience a force towards the center of the Earth, which can result in a change in direction or speed of the object.

Is centripetal acceleration at the equator constant?

Yes, centripetal acceleration at the equator is constant because the speed and radius of the Earth's rotation remain the same.

How does centripetal acceleration at the equator compare to other locations on Earth?

Centripetal acceleration at the equator is greater than at other locations on Earth because the radius of rotation is largest at the equator, making the centripetal acceleration larger according to the formula a = v²/r.