Centrifugal Force on a Bucket of Water

In summary, the conversation discusses a test and the process of determining the shape of water in a spinning bucket for a homework assignment. The equations and solution for finding the potential energy and resulting shape of the water are discussed, with the conclusion that the water forms a paraboloid. The individual asks for confirmation on their reasoning and thanks in advance.
BAnders1
I had a test the other day and it doesn't sound like it will be graded for quite some time (our TA seems to be over his head in classwork). I wanted to see if anyone here could tell me if my answer to one of the questions is correct and justified. Prethanks.

Homework Statement

"A bucket of water is set spinning around its symmetry axis, determine the shape of the water in the bucket"

Homework Equations

F=-mω×(ω×r) (centrifugal force)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the centrifugal force on a small mass of water (F=mω²r), then I integrated this with respect to r to find the potential energy associated with the centrifugal force [U=-(mω²/2)r²]. Since the water is bound in the bucket, it cannot attain any kinetic energy, thus in equilibrium the potential energy due to the centrifugal force must cancel the gravitational potential energy U=mgz. Solving for z, I got z=(ω²/2g)r², thus the water forms a paraboloid.

Is my reasoning correct? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

In fact large, parabolic telescope mirrors are made by spinning molten glass until the glass has cooled and hardened.

Related to Centrifugal Force on a Bucket of Water

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a curved path. This force is created by the inertia of the object trying to continue moving in a straight line while also being pulled towards the center of the curved path.

2. How does centrifugal force affect a bucket of water?

When a bucket of water is spun in a circular motion, the water inside the bucket experiences centrifugal force. This force causes the water to move away from the center of the circle and towards the outer edges of the bucket.

3. Is centrifugal force a real force?

No, centrifugal force is not a real force. It is an apparent or fictitious force that arises due to the perspective of an observer in a rotating reference frame. It is actually the result of the inertia of the object in motion.

4. How does the amount of water in the bucket affect the centrifugal force?

The amount of water in the bucket does not affect the centrifugal force acting on it. The centrifugal force is dependent on the speed of rotation and the distance of the water from the center of the circle, but not the mass of the water.

5. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are often confused, but they are actually two different forces. Centrifugal force is the apparent outward force felt by an object in a rotating reference frame, while centripetal force is the real inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.