Centrifical Motion Theoretical Question

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation relating the period of a ball swinging in a circle to the length of the string and the radius of the circle. The equation is derived using the equations Fnet=ma and a(centripetal)=(4∏^2R)/T^2, and by resolving the tension force into x and y components. The final equation includes the length of the string (L) and the radius of the circle (R) without directly measuring the angle. The equation is Ftsin(arccos(L/r))=mg.
Retricide

Homework Statement

A ball of unknown mass is attached to a massless string. The string is then held at the opposite end and the ball is pushed, as to give it a centrifical motion (acceleration toward the center and perpendicular velocity). NOTE: The length of the string is not the radius (the string is the hypotenuse) and all angles are unknown.
The ball swings around a circle, of known radius, and period of rotation is measured 10 times and then divided by 10 to get an average period. The radius of the circle (R), length of the string (L), and period of ball (T) are known.

Derive an equation relating the period of the ball (T) to the length of the string (L) and radius of the circle (R).
There should be no angles in your final equation, since you will not be directly measuring angle.

I think you are allowed to use Ft (tension) in the equation (mass as well, but I think it should cancel out).

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
a(centripetal)=(4∏^2R)/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ft is in a different plane than acceleration, so I resolved Ft into component x and y vectors.
I solved Fty to equal mg
and Ftx to equal (m4∏^2R)/T^2.

However, I'm not sure where to go from here and how to incorporate L into the equation.
I know I can use arccos to get an angle from L and R, which would incorporate L into the equation, but that would mean I have an angle (arccos) in my equation, which, I cannot have.

Any ideas how to incorporate L into the equation relating T and R?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I think I've got it actually.

I forgot to break Fty down into
Ftsin(arccos(L/r))=mg

Problem solved :3

Related to Centrifical Motion Theoretical Question

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in circular motion. It is caused by inertia and the tendency of objects to resist changes in their motion.

2. How does centrifugal force relate to centrifugal motion?

Centrifugal motion is the motion of an object following a curved path due to the outward force of centrifugal force. In other words, centrifugal force is the cause and centrifugal motion is the effect.

3. Is centrifugal force a real force?

No, centrifugal force is not a real force. It is an apparent or fictitious force that arises due to the observation of objects in circular motion.

4. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are often confused, but they are actually opposite forces. Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on the object.

5. Can centrifugal force be felt?

No, centrifugal force cannot be felt because it is not a real force. It is only observed due to the motion of objects in circular paths. However, the effects of centrifugal force can be felt, such as the sensation of being pushed outwards on a spinning amusement park ride.