Center of Mass of a Cardioid

In summary, The problem involves finding the center of mass of a solid with a spherical coordinate surface, which is defined by spherical coordinates. The first step is to find the mass by setting up a triple integral over the density. The limits of integration for the solid are not defined properly and must be determined mathematically. Converting the integral into Cartesian coordinates is not recommended. Instead, the correct limits for the triple integral can be used to find the moments in spherical coordinates.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of a solid of density [itex]\delta[/itex] = 1 enclosed by the spherical coordinate surface [itex]\rho[/itex] = 1-cos[itex]\phi[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused about how to start here, mainly because the surface is defined by spherical coordinates. But here's what I've done so far..

I figured I should start by finding the mass, so, setting up a triple integral over the density, and in this case, it would be a triple integral in spherical coordinates.

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{1-cos\phi} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi dθ$$

I'm not sure about the phi limits of integration...the reason I'm thinking beginning at \pi/4 is really just an assumption made by looking at the image. I'm not sure how to mathematically reach that conclusion, however.

I understand how to calculate the center of mass in cartesian coordinates, but the whole spherical surface part is throwing me off. Can I just convert my above integral into a cartesian coordinate system and then just go about finding x-bar, y-bar, and z-bar?

Ah, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
forestmine said:

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of a solid of density [itex]\delta[/itex] = 1 enclosed by the spherical coordinate surface [itex]\rho[/itex] = 1-cos[itex]\phi[/itex].

What are the ranges of the variables ##\theta,\phi\, ##?

I'm a bit confused about how to start here, mainly because the surface is defined by spherical coordinates. But here's what I've done so far..

I figured I should start by finding the mass, so, setting up a triple integral over the density, and in this case, it would be a triple integral in spherical coordinates.

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{1-cos\phi} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi dθ$$

I'm not sure about the phi limits of integration...the reason I'm thinking beginning at \pi/4 is really just an assumption made by looking at the image. I'm not sure how to mathematically reach that conclusion, however.

Those limits don't define a closed surface for any kind of volume integral.

I understand how to calculate the center of mass in cartesian coordinates, but the whole spherical surface part is throwing me off. Can I just convert my above integral into a cartesian coordinate system and then just go about finding x-bar, y-bar, and z-bar?

No, that is the last thing you would want to do. Once you figure out the correct limits of the solid you will know the limits for the triple integral. Then if you want the ##x## moment, you just put the ##x## moment arm in the integrand like you would do in rectangular. It's just that you do it in spherical coordinates ##x=\rho\sin\phi\cos\theta##. Same idea for the other moments.

Related to Center of Mass of a Cardioid

What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object is balanced and its entire mass can be considered to be concentrated.

What is a cardioid?

A cardioid is a mathematical curve in the shape of a heart, resembling a Valentine's Day heart.

How is the center of mass of a cardioid calculated?

The center of mass of a cardioid can be calculated using the formula (4R)/(3π), where R is the radius of the cardioid.

Why is the center of mass of a cardioid important?

The center of mass is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. In the case of a cardioid, it helps determine the point at which the curve is balanced and symmetrical.

Are there any real-life applications for understanding the center of mass of a cardioid?

Yes, understanding the center of mass of a cardioid can be useful in engineering and design, such as creating stable structures or designing aerodynamic shapes.